Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Desktop pc no audio device after installing Windows10??
  • renton
    Free Member

Ive got quite an old Fujitsu-siemens desktop that I have just upgraded to Windows 10.

Now i have no sound, against the speaker icon in the bottom righthand corner I have a red x.

Ive tried going back to the F-S website and they dont hold any drivers for my computer model any more??

What can I do??

wwaswas

On mine Windows 10 had changed the default sound device within setup to something that I don;t actually have – I just had to switch it back to the speakers.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Get the laptop model number and do a google search for the hardware specs or drivers. My guess is it’ll be Realtek HD or something similar, then download the appropriate Vista driver if there is no Win10 equivalent. Make sure you get the right type (Intel 32/x86 or AMD64/x64). When you have it downloaded right click and open it in compatibility mode for Vista via the properties, you should be good to go.

No idea why Vista but it works, Win7 or 8 drivers don’t, strange but true.

renton
    Free Member

Mmm I’ve tried downloading various drivers and I get an error when trying to install about a missing rtvak or something??

Very weird.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Win 10 isn’t complete and all drives don’t work yet, mate waited 4 updates for an apparently compatible printer to work. What sound devices does it say are available?

cnud
    Free Member

renton
    Free Member

It says no sound device is installed??

bigyinn
    Free Member

Look in the device manager to see if the current sound device is in there or are there are any unrecognised devices in there?

squirrelking
    Free Member

As I said you need to look up your model specs and download the appropriate Vista/10 driver from the manufacturers site. Device manager wont tell you anything if its unrecognised (clue is in the name).

Google ‘model windows 10 no sound’ and someone will likely have found a fix, I’ve just solved a similar issue for my 10yo Dell laptop.

Cougar

Device manager wont tell you anything if its unrecognised (clue is in the name).

Yes it will.

If you go into Properties / Details and then change the displayed property to be Hardware IDs, you’ll get a number which looks like HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_14F1&DEV_506E&SUBSYS_17AA21CE&REV_1000

You can use this to Google what the device is and find drivers. (In this example I’d drop the &REV_1000 bit.)

renton
    Free Member

Aye I found something similar to that cougar a d did indeed use it in Google and tried to download a suitable driver but it came up with something about a missing rtvak or something similar.

Would it be easier to buy a cheap sound card.

stimpy
    Free Member

Win 7 or 8 drivers should work for it – have you tried installing those? I’ve a wifi dongle running under win 10 off Vista drivers.

Or a cheap soundcard.

renton
    Free Member

On my pc makers website they have no drivers listed at all for my computer any more. ??

Where can I get a cheap but ok soundcard.

Cougar

something similar.

Something exact would be helpful in diagnosing.

stimpy
    Free Member

What make and model sound card is it (what did you google for as a result of following Cougar’s advice)? Or what is showing up in Device Manager?

renton
    Free Member

This is all the info I have from device manager……..

The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

There are no compatible drivers for this device.

To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver.

So when I click update driver it cant find anything online suitable?

I also get this………..

Device PCI\VEN_13F6&DEV_0111&SUBSYS_011113F6&REV_10\3&267a616a&0&48 requires further installation.

So ive searched for that and downloaded what i thought was the correct driver but it doenst work

In device manager the soundcard is listed as a multimedia audio controller

codybrennan
    Free Member

I would just hit PC World and get myself another card renton, shouldn’t be more than a tenner. The little USB ones are pretty neat too.

Cougar

Seems to be a CMI8738.

Drivers here – http://www.cmedia.com.tw/EN/DownloadCenter_Detail2.html

(perhaps)

32- or 64-bit Windows?

stimpy
    Free Member

Do the win 7 or vista drivers here work?

http://www.cmedia.com.tw/EN/DownloadCenter_Detail/pserno-31.html

EDIT: Dammit beaten by Cougar!

renton
    Free Member

sorted now ta chaps.

manage to find an earlier download that I didnt need to register an account for !

Cougar

Rah. Well done.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Yes it will.

If you go into Properties / Details and then change the displayed property to be Hardware IDs, you’ll get a number which looks like HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_14F1&DEV_506E&SUBSYS_17AA21CE&REV_1000

You can use this to Google what the device is and find drivers. (In this example I’d drop the &REV_1000 bit.)

Always one step ahead.

🙂

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Desktop pc no audio device after installing Windows10??’ is closed to new replies.