Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Desktop monitors – recommendations please
  • cinnamon_girl

My Dell widescreen has broken, boo. What do I need to look out for bearing in mind that it’s occasionally used for i-player and youtube besides STW surfing? 😉

Thanks as always. 🙂

genghispod
    Free Member

Hi CG, long time no see. Hope all’s well. I have a 20″ HP lcd monitor: I would go for an led one if replacing, either 20″ or 22″. There is a sexy big Samsung one in PC world but it’s over £300 so I won’t be buying that!

craigxxl
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple of these and them very good

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bigjim

the really good Dell ones are the best I’ve used, I have a Samsung one that had really good reviews at home and it isn’t a touch on the Dells. Sorry about the complete lack of model detail…

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

TFT selector is a good start. It asks for budget, what you want it for etc.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/selector.htm

It recommended a Dell for me – which I am well happy with and its tons better than models even a few years old.

flannol
    Free Member

If you can afford it, a Dell Ultrasharp

busydog
    Free Member

I use multiple monitors for work and have tried several makes. Prefer either Samsung or Dell. Have 2 Samsung LCD and 1 Samsung LED side by side at the moment. The LED is noticeably brighter (also it’s a year newer).

nickjb
    Free Member
    uwe-r
    Free Member

I’m also after a monitor as I have been using macs a bit recently and the screen quality over my laptop is immense. What would I need to get for similar quality to a mac screen? Thinking of something for the desk to just plug into when working at home, what’s the deal with using TV’s are they up to the job?

Any comments appreciated?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I have the LG IPS 234, [slightly older than the above] good viewing angles and clear

I also have 2x iiyama 24″ LCD monitors, nice quality though not cheap. Fantastic warranty – I damaged 2 by placing them near speakers [didn’t realise it was a problem with flat panels, it is due to the electronics, if not the tube]

Dell consistently gets value for money awards, especially when they’re on deal.

If you write or read a lot consider a 1200*1900 resoloution, this HD 1900*1080 is not actually a good res for computers, you really need more vertical space. It’s just common because the manufacturers can simply bang-out HDTV style screens using their existing tooling.

Lastly, consider the people that mined the minerals to make the device.

It’s a little understood fact that a very large percentage of tech devices are made from minerals dug out of the ground in the DRC in millitia-controlled mines. The war there is now more profitable than peace, mostly because companies like Samsung, Sony etc continue to trade with the smelters of these minerals without having created an assured supply of the minerals free of ‘blood’ [think blood diamonds].

for more information

http://www.enoughproject.org/publications/taking-conflict-out-consumer-gadgets-company-rankings-conflict-minerals-2012

and

https://sites.google.com/site/scantargument/blogs-1/contributing-to-war-mobile-phones-and-the-democratic-republic-of-the-congo

nickjb
    Free Member

I’m also after a monitor as I have been using macs a bit recently and the screen quality over my laptop is immense. What would I need to get for similar quality to a mac screen? Thinking of something for the desk to just plug into when working at home, what’s the deal with using TV’s are they up to the job?

The Mac screens have probably had quite high resolution, they are also alarmingly expensive. If your laptop is a budget one it is probably only 768p. A TV or cheap monitor will be 1080p so better than the laptop, not as good as the mac. I just have the monitor I linked to above and a keyboard and mouse on my desk. I just plug the monitor in via HDMI and the rest by USB and it all works nicely. MUCH better than using just the laptop.

nickjb
    Free Member

If you write or read a lot consider a 1200*1900 resoloution, this HD 1900*1080 is not actually a good res for computers, you really need more vertical space. It’s just common because the manufacturers can simply bang-out HDTV style screens using their existing tooling

This is true. Unfortunately due to the scales of manufacture those extra few pixels almost triple the price of the monitor, though.

nickjb
    Free Member

double post

tonyd

I’ve got a couple of Dell P2412H at work. No idea how they compare to others as we just have a choice of two, but they’re pretty good. You can get a soundbar also which might make watching TV etc easier or more bearable.

chriswilk
    Free Member

got HP LA2405wg at work, really quite nice and cheap.
    bit spoilt as I have 3 on my desk just now

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

, not as good as the mac.

funnily enough the monitor on my friends mac is the only LCD screen i have been able to detect flicker on.

There are some Dell 2407 ultrasharps around cheap, and they are 1920×1200, which is a lot more workable than a 1080P screen. Plus they have a matt screen which is also better for long work times.

e.g.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-UltraSharp-2407WFP-24-Widescreen-LCD-Monitor-In-mint-condition-/281086974553?pt=UK_Computing_ComputerComponents_Monitors&hash=item417216da59

bigjim

Lastly, consider the people that mined the minerals to make the device.

Good for you fella. I think the people that queue outside crapple shops for the latest iSuck for no justifiable reason whatsoever should be sent to these places.

mrblobby
    Free Member

There are a lot of cheap 1080 monitors around as it’s basically the same screen they stick in tellys. Second the comment about the big properly high res monitors being much better than the 1080, if you have to do much work on it then it’s so much better. Recently got the Viewsonic VP2770-LED. Pricey but you do get 27 inches of awesomeness! Only comment is to make sure that your computer can handle it as you’d need dual DVI or DisplayPort I think.

Edit: this being stw I completely ignored the brief and recommended what I have 🙂

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Desktop monitors – recommendations please’ is closed to new replies.