Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • desktop HDD help
  • Ed2001
    Free Member

I have an oldish desktop which has hard drive full of pics, music etc and a new desktop.Can I take the hard drive out of the old one and use it as an external hard drive for my new desktop and take all pics,music etc off it.Is the possible / sensible and how do I do it.
    Any advice great fully received.

thejesmonddingo

Yes,you can,you need to buy an enclosure,and if it’s a boot disk,I’d take the OS off it.

http://www.cclonline.com/category/703/Storage/External-HDD-Enclosure/

dannybgoode

Before you do anything with it get anything that is important to you backed up.

Can I ask why you want to take everything off it. What I would do is put it in its current state in your new desktop.

Copy everything important on it across to the hard drive in your new desktop and then put it in an enclosure to use as a back up drive for your new desktop. Thus you would want to keep all the stuff on it so you have it on both drives.

Only then should you look at clearing off the stuff you don’t want.

Apologies, I do not know your level of expertise so if any of this sounds complicated – get someone who knows what they are doing to help you.

Cheers

Danny B

Ed2001
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice.No I have no expertise in these matters but I have a man at work who I can ask to do this for me.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘desktop HDD help’ is closed to new replies.