Viewing 8 posts - 81 through 88 (of 88 total)
  • Desktop habits (computing)
  • mattyfez

Excelling in politics, exceling in UX lol!

GrahamS

chambord: Windows key + Up should snap it to the top half of the screen and a second press should make it full screen. Likewise Win + Down snaps to bottom and a second press minimises. You can also do 2×2 snaps.

http://www.howtogeek.com/198230/how-to-use-snap-assist-and-2×2-snap-on-windows-10/

GrahamS

But why would you? The scale of the content would then not match everything else.. ugh.

It scales the whole web page so it looks fine and is easier on my old eyes.

(I generally use Ctrl+Mouse Wheel to find a nice size which also tends to work in decent text editors etc)

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Chambord – what OS? In 10, Win + L or R arrow to snap side to side. Win + Up arrow takes it to top quadrant, win + down arrow to bottom quadrant. Its great. You can also ‘snap’ the windows by holding and dragging to either a side or corner. Works well across multiple monitors too.

molgrips
    Free Member

It scales the whole web page so it looks fine and is easier on my old eyes.

Yes but your icons, menu bars and all still stay small. Mismatch.

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

Top and bottom snap only came in in Win 10 I think – left and right in 7

holst
    Free Member

One fingered typing make me sad.

It is pretty useful when you’re so drunk you have to close one eye to focus and you have urgent email to get done.

Cougar

You can’t see what they all are, and you aren’t using them, but you are wasting RAM.

Agreed, once your tab bar is full and opening new tabs compresses them into icons, you should probably have a think about whether you really need them all open right now.

I’m only wasting RAM if I’m not using it. What’s the point of having it sit there empty?

I’m not using the other tabs and don’t need them open right now. However, (at work at least) they’re things I’m going to need to come back to as they relate to stuff I’m working on. But they’re all transient.

Let’s see. On my work laptop currently I’ve got a couple of tabs relating to Apache / PHP security hardening; three articles on vCenter SSO integration with AD; an article pertaining to Cisco IOS naming conventions; an MSDN page where I can get a licence key and image download; some stuff about iSCSI; a spec sheet on some Cisco SPF modules; a couple of internal systems; a Google page of search results; an article on using openssl to convert certificate types; web mail; Facebook; STW, and a Cisco firmware download page.

All of these are pertaining to different jobs I’ve got on the go, either to-do or in progress. I’m locking down an internal web server before it’s made publically accessible. I’ve got to migrate a VMware estate from standalone to a new Windows domain. The naming conventions thing is something I’m going to read when I’ve got chance just for personal education. The MSDN page is because I’m building a Windows storage server and waiting to see whether I can get a licence key through our Volume Licensing before redeeming my own MSDN key. The iSCSI relates to this also, it’s another lengthy knowledge article I need to read. The SPF doc relates to a WAN upgrade where people are continually asking me questions around cabling and compatibility. The Google search is because like U2 I still haven’t found what I’m looking for. The openSSL stuff is for support I’m giving to one of our Engineers, he’s dealing with the customer and they’re being random (I asked him to get the certificate and they sent him a switch firmware image…!) And the Cisco download is for an image another Engineer requires, it’s only open because the IOS is still downloading and I’m waiting for it to complete before closing.

All of these things are pages that whilst I might not actively be using, I’ll need to refer back to over the next few days / weeks. One the job / task is complete, they’ll be gone never to be needed again. Bookmarking them is pointless because I’ll then spend half my life un-bookmarking things. They also serve as a handy aide memoire; I was working on the website last week and other things took priority; with the tab still open, I know I’ve still got work outstanding to do.

Top and bottom snap only came in in Win 10 I think – left and right in 7

In Windows 7 it cycles Win-up and Win-down cycles between maximised / restore down / minimised.

Viewing 8 posts - 81 through 88 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘Desktop habits (computing)’ is closed to new replies.