Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Designery types: do you still use Magic Markers?
  • PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I’ve just had a very pleasant few hours sketching out ideas and colouring in with felt-tips. I feel suitably justified with my ‘felt-tip fairy’ job description now.

Yak

No. I used to. Or coloured pencil. Nowadays I scan and then colour using computer magic fairy stuff.

binners

Nope. Wish I had time too. The same as Yak – I draw up outlines in Rotring pens, then scan in and colour it up on’t pooter

Some of the bigger studios I’ve been in, in Manchester, still have a few of the old school visualiser guys who sit there with a pile of magic markers. I’m absolutely in awe of the standard of artwork they can churn out in what seems like minutes

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I’m absolutely in awe of the standard of artwork they can churn out in what seems like minutes

Yeah, not up to this level. This is visualising tho – big event stuff, so no final pieces.

It’s weird – I tend to create other art from scratch on a mac. Maybe I need to start on paper more often…

perchypanther
    Free Member

For the more “discerning” artist…..

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Clean fun? 😕

andykirk
    Free Member

Using magic markers is a skill that takes a long long time to learn. Plus they were always super expensive so never really got a chance to use more than a couple of dog-eared ones.

I still use paper and pen or pencil for most things, it only goes into the computer for presentation stuff.

johndoh
    Free Member

I used to use them all the time and was okay (never a pro-grade visualiser though).

Now I design websites but I still sketch things out but I use gridded sheets and Sharpies (I only ever design shapes/structures in B&W and often this is done in front of client to draw discussion from them). I then translate the sketches into pixel perfect visuals using the app ‘Sketch’.

cheers_drive

Not used any magic markerd for nearly 20 years but a couple of years ago I did design several retail displays markers and apparently they are still used a lot by fashion designers, comic illustrators, and artists.

muddy@rseguy

Magic markers?

No, not since college but I do use Copic markers…far better quality and a much better colour range. However I was delighted when Sketchbook Pro started to offer a full range of Copic markers in electronic from.

Looking forwards to leading a couple of manual sketching design workshops at the V&A next week, using real old school style pencils! 🙂

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I then translate the sketches into pixel perfect visuals using the app ‘Sketch’.

Will look at this. Cheers.

No, not since college but I do use Copic markers…far better quality and a much better colour range. However I was delighted when Sketchbook Pro started to offer a full range of Copic markers in electronic from.

Not heard of them, but that sounds incredibly cool. Will take a look at these too. Thanks!

AlexSimon

I just use one.
    Pantone Cool Grey 1 over the top of pen drawings to show form.

Never really used them for full-on product renderings even before computers. Preferred coloured pencils

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Designery types: do you still use Magic Markers?’ is closed to new replies.