Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Designers – do you like Adobe CS smart guides?
  • PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Doing a page layout in brand new and shiny Indesign CC, so everything is currently set at default. Going through the process of tweaking things to my preference, but I really had forgotten how I dislike smart guides.

I realise they could be useful for quick layouts in high-pressure media environments (darling), but does anyone actually really use them on a regular basis?

PrinceJohn

We’ve just got this….

Upgraded from cs5 – things I don’t like..

The black background.
    The way the picture boxes work – when I’m trying to move an image around the page with the main selection I generally click in the middle of the frame (ocd.. me.. no.) which now moves the image within the frame..

smart guides…

lots of other little niggly things as well… sure I’ll get used to it & I can’t moan too much as it’s the first time we’ve all been on the same version of indesign for ages.

I quite like the orange tho.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I use smart guides a lot when doing illustrations, plans, maps etc – I just use the keyboard command to toggle them on and off as required. Very useful for making sure points snap to an existing path to avoid stragglers and loose ends.

I use them a lot in InDesign too… CS5 user here…

binners

They’re bloody great! Love ’em! Means you have to concentrate less on the mechanics, and more on the important stuff. My creativity daaaaaaahling! 🙂

CountZero

Smart guides, like many things in design/graphics software, are very useful when you know how, and where, to use them, and particularly how to turn them on and off quickly. Used to use them back when I worked in graphics, and learned the quick short-cuts, same as the keyboard short-cuts for brushes and such in Photoshop.
    I got to the point where I could close all my tool windows and have a virtually clear screen when working on a photo, just using the keyboard and mouse.
    Couldn’t do it in Quark and Illustrator, mind… 😀

binners

You get like that, don’t you? I turn stuff like that on and off that quickly nowadays, you don’t even glance at the keyboard. I had a work experience student in with me last week, asking me how I’d just done that?

Erm…. I don’t know… It’s command, shift…. Erm…

I had to sit and think about to actually tell him 🙂

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I had a work experience student in with me last week, asking me how I’d just done that?

I know that feeling well! And you spend ages scrolling up and down menus looking for “Command U”, just so you can work out what the hell you just did!

I still hit “Command Tab” to try and scroll through the tools… A throwback to the days of Aldus Freehand and Pagemaker which I’ve not used for the thick end of 20 years!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

The black background.
    The way the picture boxes work – when I’m trying to move an image around the page with the main selection I generally click in the middle of the frame (ocd.. me.. no.) which now moves the image within the frame..

smart guides…

lots of other little niggly things as well… sure I’ll get used to it & I can’t moan too much as it’s the first time we’ve all been on the same version of indesign for ages.

Pretty much all agreed. 🙂

Use shortcuts especially for viewing stuff (clearing guides etc.) but am definitely no CMD ninja.

Went to uni with a guy who loved them tho. It was a running joke that he was selling his mouse; slightly more worrying was someone wanted to buy it.

binners

Does everyone not just change that horrible black background back to normal as soon as they load it up. Hideous!

Preferences > ……

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Does everyone not just change that horrible black background back to normal as soon as they load it up.

Yes!

PrinceJohn

Does everyone not just change that horrible black background back to normal as soon as they load it up. Hideous!

Preferences > ……

You can do that? Outstanding. Can you do it in illustrator as well?

Shibboleth
    Free Member

When will they learn that we don’t like change??

How mang graphic designers does it take to change a lightbulb?

Piss off, I’m not changing anything…

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

You can do that? Outstanding. Can you do it in illustrator as well?

You can.

How mang graphic designers does it take to change a lightbulb?

Piss off, I’m not changing anything…

The other half liked that. 😆

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Designers – do you like Adobe CS smart guides?’ is closed to new replies.