Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Design Council – Design a bike locking device competition results
  • binners

I’ve just read this in Design week. I know, I know. Something interesting in Design Week? Whatever next?

Anyway… the Design Council ran a competition to design a way of securing bikes in an urban environment where space is at a premium. Something I’m sure we can all identify with. Apart from you lot who live in castles in the country, obviously. They gave 5 designers 4 weeks and ten grand to come up with solutions. Results are here:

http://www.dexigner.com/news/22545

http://www.designcouncil.org.uk/about-us/Media-centre/Exciting-new-solutions-to-residential-bicycle-theft-unveiled/

Worth a read. Pip pip

seosamh77
    Free Member

probably take about 3 seconds to get past any of those ‘solutions’.

phil.w
    Free Member

£10,000 to design a small box with a roller door. slightly better than the plant pot i guess.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Wow, what a pile of rubbish!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

“Lupin is a portable, lightweight, fixing loop” that’s slid through a door.

Whats the point in that? why not just put your bike behind the locked door instead?

mogrim

“Lupin is a portable, lightweight, fixing loop” that’s slid through a door.

Whats the point in that? why not just put your bike behind the locked door instead?

The door’s not locked – it gives you something to lock your bike to, and the combination of bike+lock+door is immobile. OK, it’s apparently made from seatbelt webbing which isn’t going to be that long-term secure, but it’d slow any thief down.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

waste of £40k 🙄

bulk buying decent locks and handing them out to random commuters would have achieved more

binners

My favourite was the plant pot to lock your bike too. Well done! Alternatively I could lock it to a fence. Or anything else, really. You’re just trying to sell me an expensive plant pot, aren’t you?

They’ll sell loads of them 😀

mk1fan
    Free Member

I like the idea of the arm lock but clearly there’s issues with tube sizing and locating it on the wall. Liked the planter too.

Trimix
    Free Member

Amazing rubish – none seem to offer anything that would work or is not currently available.

Perhaps these designers dont live in the real world.

nickjb
    Free Member

If they were student projects then they’d be OK (ish) but for £10k from proffesionals I’d expect a little more.

I saw the plant pot lock quite a few years ago and thought it was a good idea. It allows you to put locking points in city centres and outside shops where there isn’t a fence or anything else.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Hopeless.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I’ve a design….

I think my “bike bell” concept consisting of a suspended capsule (large pipe bolted 8ft up a wall) with a vented but weatherproof top and a door at the base.

Inside a small winch (ruggedized key operated on wall) raises the bike up inside the tube, once the bike is inside, the door at the base is closed & auto locks.

when you come to collect it, as you turn the key, the capsule is opened & the bike is lowered.

The exterior of the tube can be used as advertising/signage space.

Six units could be accommodated within a single free standing open air car parking space. Six capsule pod groups could also be accessed in a mechanized multistory facility.

(c) MrNutt 2010

Thats my idea, buy it if you like! 😀

montylikesbeer

dim witted designers who have no grasp of reality shocker !!

tang
    Free Member

why not spend the money and create some jobs and have guarded compounds in busy city spots. like a coatroom?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

why not spend the money and create some jobs and have guarded compounds in busy city spots. like a coatroom?

That pretty much used to exist in Leicester, had showers and changing rooms too. Dunno if it’s still there.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Design Council – Design a bike locking device competition results’ is closed to new replies.