Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Describe your 'bike of the future'!
  • Malvern Rider
    Free Member

After re-reading Boardman’s Jetson-esque dreams of solar-powered computers on two wheels I’m putting it to the board. Have you a future-bike in mind, or even a few features? Or are we moving too fast and need to pedal backwards and pay more attention to nice shiny chainrings and cotters once more before re-re-inventing bikes as a Raleigh Vektra (now with real computer stuff!)

What would make your trail come alive in 2025?

(Why do so many concept bike wheels have no spokes or hubs? How would they work, on bearings or magnets. Magnets? WTF is that all about &C…)

In fact couldn’t a wheel just be a rim outside of a rim, spinning around it like a circular maglev? Have I just reinvented a wheel?

tomhoward

28.25″ wheels

binners

26″ wheels 😉

jam-bo

black

RustySpanner

It’s in the garage.

Junkyard
    Free Member

next to the de lorean?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

StreetWolf but with pedals

RustySpanner

Cheeky.
    It’s not old, it’s retro.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

26″ wheels

‘if it’s too different, it’s risky’. – C. Boardman.

Yak

Given that I’m constantly about 5years behind, the future for me is the sort of stuff that most folk are on now. So 10speed, clutch mechs, n/w….etc

atlaz
    Free Member

This one. Raleigh Vektar!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

StreetWolf

I think you’re mixing up your 80s American vehicular TV shows. I’ll give you a clue: Jan Michael Vincent wasn’t flying AirHawk.

atlaz
    Free Member

jekkyl

One with a beer dispenser.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

D’oh

Still a bike that doubles as a helicopter……..mmmmmm.

Yak

hmmmmm. Seemed good back then, doing 300mph everywhere with a fancy sat-nav thingy.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Bah, late as ever with my centre-less maglev wheel

More coffee, a few weeks longer, and I’ll have it cracked. Along with the nonocycle.

molgrips
    Free Member

Hard to know, really. The current crop seem pretty well sorted, so I’d imagine they’d stay like that and get lighter.

I’d guess some sort of adaptive platform control for the suspension; maybe a lightweight low-loss gearbox.

DezB
    Free Member

Same as now, but half the price.

nemesis
    Free Member

Electronics in the suspension that works well – eg can adjust travel and spring/damping settings near enough automatically (probably with manual override) and probably integration with the latest iteration of google glass or its future iterations (implants I expect…)

molgrips
    Free Member

It could measure speed and attitude to figure out if you’re climbing and adjust appropriately – or also measure cadence and see how much suspension movement is pedal bob and adjust to minimise that. It could then open the platform right up when it detects you’re coasting.

nemesis
    Free Member

Exactly and really that’s not rocket science – a lot of it was well in place back in the early 90s in F1 with active suspension – the issue is making it reliable, light and effective enough for a bike.

molgrips
    Free Member

Should be easy – if Di2 can change gear for you, then you could easily make an actuator for the lever on top of your shock. Then all you need is some sophisticated software.

tomhoward

It could measure speed and attitude to figure out if you’re climbing and adjust appropriately – or also measure cadence and see how much suspension movement is pedal bob and adjust to minimise that. It could then open the platform right up when it detects you’re coasting.

You mean like E:i shocks on Lapierres and Haibikes?

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes, like that – but it could evolve over time and do stuff like adapt to your riding style or trail conditions, or you could have downloadable programmes to adjust to your preference. Nice idea.

oldnpastit

Di2 that detects the level of lactate in your legs and adjusts the gear ratio accordingly.

Obviously you would need some sensors surgically implanted into your legs, which would be wirelessly connected to the rest of the system (e.g. Bluetooth).

nemesis
    Free Member

Yes, that’s the start of it but they’re quite limited in what they actually do at this stage – they only adjust damping, not travel, positioning, etc. You really want to go the active suspension route of hydraulic suspension but at present that means a heavy compressor and power source…

ahwiles
    Free Member

i expect fewer people to have the kind of disposable cash that would make things like electronic damping/shifting commonplace.

so i expect more and more people to be riding 29+ type bikes (29er, 3″ tyres, no shocks, bombproof frame that’ll last years.

not exactly a mad-max type scenario, but our future is not likely to be brighter/richer/more opulent.

put it this way, we’re more likely to see things like meat rationing within 10 years, than another man* on the moon.

(*unless that man/woman is chinese)

nemesis
    Free Member

The OP didn’t mention that it had to be cheap, just that it’s what you want…

fourbanger
    Free Member

Those “hubless” wheels look like a good place to put cargo.

molgrips
    Free Member

not exactly a mad-max type scenario, but our future is not likely to be brighter/richer/more opulent.

I think it will be.

ahwiles
    Free Member

nemesis – Member

The OP didn’t mention that it had to be cheap, just that it’s what you want…

i interpreted the title ‘describe your bike of the future’ to mean:

‘what bike do you think you’ll be buying in 10 years?’

molgrips – Member

I think it will be.

energy prices are going up, material costs are going up, labour costs are going up, food prices are going up, housing costs are going up, pay is not going up.

our (my) expenditure on luxury goods is going to be squeezed. that will include fancy-pants mtb stuff. Any bike i’ll be buying in 10 years will likely be ‘simple and durable’ than ‘fully integrated with the web3.0’

(mainly, i just have a hankering for a Surly Krampus)

molgrips
    Free Member

pay is not going up.

Not in the next few years, but after that, it will do. ‘Of the future’ to me means 20 years’ time.

nemesis
    Free Member

Killjoy 🙂

ahwiles
    Free Member

so, when can i expect the annual 5%+ pay-rises to kick in?

(enough to cover inflation, and leave me with a few extra ££/month)

forgive me, i was just working around the suggestions of the OP:

…are we moving too fast and need to pedal backwards…

+

…in 2025…

ahwiles
    Free Member

nemesis – Member

Killjoy

i disagree, i reckon i’d have a ****-load of fun on a Surly Krampus, they seem ideal for the kind of badger-tech trails that appeal to me.

brakes
    Free Member

don’t think about what the bike companies want you to want on your bike like more tech, think about what would make your riding experience more enjoyable.
    my bike of the future:
    – self-cleaning and maintenance free
    – be able to shield me from the worst weather (dark/ rain/ cold)
    – would protect me from crashes with other road users
    – be able to tell me how I’m performing and what I should be doing to perform better

milkyman
    Free Member

I don’t think bikes can get much lighter given the materials they have to work with, there is only so much you can do with a frame to make it lighter, what ever its made out of, I do think adjustable geometry will become the norm and also electronic shifting, wheel size will settle down but on what size im not sure

tomhoward

ahwiles, this morning.

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t think bikes can get much lighter given the materials they have to work with

That’s the point – bikes of the future = new materials.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Describe your 'bike of the future'!’ is closed to new replies.