Viewing 10 posts - 81 through 90 (of 90 total)
  • describe a moment that, for you, defines your cycling.
  • MrSalmon
    Free Member

Solo rides on summer evenings in that warm, low light, that sweet spot of working but not properly busting a gut, can be a nice country road or bit of singletrack. Still makes me feel the same way now as it did riding home from summer jobs 25 years ago.

jameso

Times like today when I get a clear run down a favorite cheeky trail, the grip / slip mix is perfect, the flow and fitness is there, the speed and the hops over the roots and the pumpy bits all link up as well as they ever do. Just a couple of minutes of what I live for.
    Get to the bottom with a hell-yeah grin on and hopefully only the birds hear a childish “alriiiigghhhht .. ” of happy self-congratulation.

Of course it usually helps that I’m on my own and not chasing a far quicker / more skilled rider that forces errors and cusses from me on the same run : )

paul4stones

Loads really. Dragging a bike 2-3 miles across a Scottish hillside to be rewarded with a massive descent.

Just a couple of days ago riding near Girona with the family. Youngest son hit a rock on a forest road and went into a tankslapper of perhaps 6+ oscillations before landing on his face. I just missed riding over him. Rite of passage and he’s out riding again today 🙂

Riding home 30 miles on my SS commuter in the snow that had Newcastle gridlocked before Christmas and still beating the neighbour home.

Riding a loop near Huddersfield with friends who worried about my lack of gears or suspension, etc

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hambl90
    Free Member

Having recently been made redundant I soon realised how much my bike had helped me through working in a job I have hated for the past 11 yrs , for this reason alone I will ride until I can no longer manage it .
    I also volunteer for a kids mtb club on the weekend and love seeing their faces after a ride , it makes my day .

tazzymtb

the moment where I realise that I’m riding with millionaires and brickies, right wingers and commies with everyone in between and all we give a sh1t about is the flow and ride and one gear niche tat.

world peace* is only a pedal stroke away

*unless it anything to do with trail mincers or Halifax filing cabinets…they’re fist to go in the new world order. 😀

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Riding up Alpe d’huez on a late summer afternoon, swilling down an ice cold coke with a good friend and then getting my MTB head on and descending it like it was one big eight mile long piece of baby smooth singletrack.

Cheezpleez

Shivering, soaked through and badly hungover, drinking tea in that little Wendy house at the soup stop at CyB, giggling like a hysterical schoolgirl because one of my riding mates is suffering worse than me and looking like he might either throw up or just die out on the cold, drizzly patch of grass in front of me.

Euro
    Free Member

bit weird

That’s why i whisper 😆

souldrummer
    Free Member

Two things I think. First was reaching the top of the Col de Sarenne (1999m)after what seemed like an endless hard climb on my own after my mate bailed out on the lower slopes. Sense of achievement was immense. Second was as dawn broke over a lake as I was on the second of a double lap at either Sleepless or Mayhem. The beauty just made me realise ‘this is why I do it’. Lastly the sense of camaraderie as a bunch of us (who only met on the slopes) struggled up Alpe D’Huez in temperatures above 100, each encouraging the other to keep going; we all made the top!

nickhead
    Free Member

Those cold/wet days where it’s a real battle to get out of the house, drive to the trails and get out on the bike, but 15 minutes later you’re wondering why you ever doubted.

Loamy soil and drifty turns

A herd of deer that only notice you when you’re within 20 yards, before collectively springing, running and bounding off through the ferns into the trees

the one ride in every ten, when your lungs are clear, legs are strong, eyes are focussed on the trail ahead, bike’s working perfectly and you’re truly ‘on it’ – feeling the terrain through the tyres

When you just have to stop to take in the beauty and silence around you.

Mid-summer in the Wyre forest. Low winter sun on Cannock Chase. Halfway down an alpine descent. Sat on the side of the midway singletrack climb/traverse of the Megavalanche being overtaken by a whole string of riders because everything had gone lightheaded and blurry, before waiting for a decent gap and nailing the downhill, trying to catch and overtake all those who had just gone by.

I think half of those reasons are why I enjoy riding alone as much (if not more) as riding with mates.

Viewing 10 posts - 81 through 90 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘describe a moment that, for you, defines your cycling.’ is closed to new replies.