• This topic has 58 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by pondo.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Derren Brown , what an arsehole
  • sputnik
    Free Member

Just caught the tail end of a program where he made people commit a murder?!!
    Sick bastard, what an arsehole to put people in such a position.

cheers_drive

I hope they get some good counselling after that, regardless that could really screw someone up.

kimbers

is it not just all made up for TV?

sofaboy73
    Free Member

I asked the very same question to a friend who worked in the production of his armoured car heist thing a few years ago. Apparently he works with them for several weeks after to deprogram and debrief them and will also use his powers of evil for good to help them with any other issues theyre having – giving up smoking, anxiety etc. Almost worth the TV exposure to iron out the deeper mental kinks

GrahamS

You’d think with these superpowers we’d be deploying him against Daesh, not getting him to produce light entertainment.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Don’t agree with the title here necessarily, but found that very disturbing. Poor TV in my mind. Shocked by the results too.

copa
    Free Member

is it not just all made up for TV?

Aye, didn’t see it but sounds exactly the same as the other stuff he’s done in recent years. No tricks, no particular cleverness, just a Derren Brown fan dutifully playing along with a scenario he’s placed in.

His shows are no different to celebs eating insects on I’m a Celebrity.

brooess
    Free Member

I haven’t watched it but are you sure he made people commit a murder?
    that kind of stuff tends to be somewhat frowned upon by the Law.
    Illusions for entertainment are legal, however…

sofaboy73
    Free Member

Aye, didn’t see it but sounds exactly the same as the other stuff he’s done in recent years. No tricks, no particular cleverness, just a Derren Brown fan dutifully playing along with a scenario he’s placed in

asked a similar question, to the aforementioned friend in the same conversation. she assured me that the participants weren’t stooges and had no idea that they were in an artificially created scenario. now having known her for years, i have no reason to disbelieve her, so if that is the case the whole fanboy element doesn’t come into it.

however what it does show is our willingness as individuals of supposedly freewill and determinism is to be manipulated by fairly basic psychological techniques and follow the ‘authority’ figure. so no tricks, but his cleverness comes in in getting people to do the most extreme of acts that they would never normally dream of.

builds on a solid body of respected psychology studies, including a very famous experiment in the 60’s where people were asked to press a button to supposedly administer an electric shock to a person in another room they couldn’t see. when they did, they heard noises of pain & discomfort through a speaker. a person in a white coat wielding a clip board kept asking them to turn the dial up on the shocko-meter and press the button again, at which point the screams got louder. the vast majority of people complied purely because of the white lab coat and clip board signaled authority – worrying stuff when you think how easily people can manipulate us in a wider more serious context

which reminds me, where did i leave my tin foil hat….

wysiwyg
    Free Member

I enjoyed the fact he called the corpse Bernie

ads678

Derren Brown , what an arsehole.

+lots.

DezB
    Free Member

The only thing it made me think was that some people are quite pathetic and will do anything to comply with their peers.
    Derren plays on this to make quite interesting telly.

The special effects dummy was pretty cool though.

I prefer his mind bending stuff – like where he persuades a bookie that his losing ticket is a win.

Northwind

copa – Member

just a Derren Brown fan dutifully playing along with a scenario he’s placed in.

I can’t say for the TV but he did a couple of shows at a venue I worked in a long time back, it wasn’t fake- he pulled up a friend of mine onto stage that I’d blagged in with my crew pass. I got the feeling maybe a couple of people were plants or at least contacted beforehand but I saw the show 3 times and he worked with a load of different people, no duplicates. (he also had 2 total failures in a row which fairly screwed up one performance)

Don’t think it’s sorcery either mind, just applied cleverness.

copa
    Free Member

sofaboy73 I would agree they’re not stooges, not in the traditional magic sense, because they don’t know what’s going to happen. But I don’t agree that they’re unaware of taking part in a Derren Brown scenario.

They’re all Derren Brown fans for a start who have been auditioned. So what he gets people to do is no more remarkable than any stunt on I’m a Celeb.

In both cases the people taking part know that they’re not going to come to any real harm.

Drac

So they work with him for weeks and have lots of debriefs but have no they are taking part in a fake scenario.

I’m sorry but that doesn’t sound right.

DezB
    Free Member

So they work with him for weeks and have lots of debriefs but have no they are taking part in a fake scenario.

Afterwards, I presumed.
    If they are “stooges” then the only ones being duped are the viewers. That would be a total waste of time surely..

Drac

Oh yeah he said after. 😳

I hate my dyslexia. 😀

scotroutes

Err, do you watch much “entertainment” on TV?

sofaboy73
    Free Member

I’m sorry but that doesn’t sound right.

after the event

They’re all Derren Brown fans for a start who have been auditioned. So what he gets people to do is no more remarkable than any stunt on I’m a Celeb.

but the celebs c-listers in the jungle are conscious that are involved in a media spectacle and therefore comply with it becuase they want the attention and don’t want to be voted off (or whatever happens) and lose the TV exposure.

the people on derren brown’s shows are ‘auditioned’ several months in advance to test their susceptibility to to psychological manipulation. then months later they are dropped into these scenarios unaware that it’s all artificial – therefore they are not playing up for the camera like the jungle twunts

agree with the earlier post, these overly complex scenarios aren’t as impressive as his earlier stuff – like the bookie thing – and it’s all variations on a theme, but still fascinating to me, more so as there is no ‘trick’ and he tells and shows you exactly what he’s doing

copa
    Free Member

If they are “stooges” then the only ones being duped are the viewers. That would be a total waste of time surely..

It is. And it helps to create a false belief in the power of psychological effects – particularly hypnotism.

DezB
    Free Member

do you watch much “entertainment” on TV?

Mostly sport and drama, comedy too. 😆

nealglover
    Free Member

Load of rubbish.

I’m a celeb cast get paid and know exactly what they will be doing.

The guy on Derren Brown had no idea that the work event he was at, had anything to do with Derren Brown.
    He failed an audition for a totally different (fake) show months earlier.

Did you even watch it ?

molgrips
    Free Member

Absolutely bloody fascinating, I’d love to have a lot of long conversations with that bloke.

Some of his spectacle stuff is a bit much for me, but some earlier shows where he did Jedi mind tricks on the street (like the bookie one) are fantastic. He also explained the background and history of what he was doing too.

copa
    Free Member

Did you even watch it ?

No I didn’t but I have done some research into Derren Brown.

I spoke to a person involved in a Trick or Treat illusion about his experience. When they filmed a particualr ‘hidden’ camera sequence, he had accompanied the film crew.

It doesn’t mean that he knew what was going to happen in the illusion. But he knew he was taking part in a scenario and went along with it.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

Absolutely bloody fascinating, I’d love to have a lot of long conversations with that bloke.

Some of his spectacle stuff is a bit much for me, but some earlier shows where he did Jedi mind tricks on the street (like the bookie one) are fantastic. He also explained the background and history of what he was doing too.

isn’t it!!

one of his first spectacle type things he did when he kidknapped the guy from the pub who had been playing the zombie shoot em up arcade machine, to then drop him into a ‘real life’ zombie house of horrors was priceless for the constant look of the poor guy evacuating his bowels in his trousers.

i also really like the Russian roulette thing, where he held a gun to his own head and had to judge only from the unwilling participants voice which chamber of the revolver had the bullet in. slightly spoilt by the Sun splashing the next day that apparantly it was a blank cartridge as the police wouldn’t let him use a real bullet, however that would still do some serious damage if it went off when held next to your head

monkeychild
    Free Member

Nlp is crazy stuff. Humans are stupid and easy to manipulate. Read up on social engineering too, I love that stuff.

DrJ

however what it does show is our willingness as individuals of supposedly freewill and determinism is to be manipulated by fairly basic psychological techniques and follow the ‘authority’ figure. so no tricks, but his cleverness comes in in getting people to do the most extreme of acts that they would never normally dream of.

Voting Tory being the obvious example.

DT78
    Free Member

I do wonder where they find these people though. They must be particularly likely to behave how he wants.

That zombie one…I couldn’t believe it. If that had been me and I was terrified and convinced I had been cornered by zombies, I would have gone mental trying the stab them through the brains to kill them to try to survive. Not sure the actors would have appreciated that! Would have made good telly.

Last nights episode, was a bit meh.

nealglover
    Free Member

Did you even watch it ?

No I didn’t[/quote]

😆

outofbreath
    Free Member

Aye, didn’t see it but sounds exactly the same as the other stuff he’s done in recent years. No tricks, no particular cleverness, just a Derren Brown fan dutifully playing along with a scenario he’s placed in

This.

I had a friend who was a stage hypnotist for a while. He told me it was all about selecting the sort of people who will play along with it. (He prefaced this with : “Hypnosis isn’t what you think it is”).

As someone above pointed out, if this stuff was real it would be in mainstream use…

Good entertainment though.

copa
    Free Member

one of his first spectacle type things he did when he kidknapped the guy from the pub who had been playing the zombie shoot em up arcade machine, to then drop him into a ‘real life’ zombie house of horrors was priceless for the constant look of the poor guy evacuating his bowels in his trousers.

Interestingly, the guy playing the zombie arcade game later popped up as a contestant on Take Me Out. In both cases, unscripted but he knew what was expected and behaved appropriately.

[video]https://youtu.be/bIedWYgnuS0[/video]

Cougar

Derren Brown is very, very good at what he does. He uses a combination of tricks; careful selection of participants potentially going back months, cold reading and suchlike, and he is a superlative actor. But one thing you need to understand is even his explanations are smoke and mirrors. At the end when he says, “and here’s how I did it,” it’s part of the trick. Don’t believe a word of it.

I didn’t see the show in question, didn’t realise it was on. But I’ve seen plenty of others and done some digging to try and work out what was going on. The Russian Roulette one was compelling viewing, but he was never in any danger; it wasn’t even loaded with a blank I don’t believe, it was a trick gun which dual-fired. He had complete control over exactly when it would go off. Penn and Teller use a similar concept with their nail gun stunt (the nails are in the board, not the gun).

How much the patsy actually believed he’d committed murder I don’t know, but I’d be very surprised indeed if it was as presented.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

The only thing it made me think was that some people are quite pathetic and will do anything to comply with their peers.

You shuold read about the Asch conformity experiments followed up by the Milgram experiments

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

A old uny friend of mine is his manager. He used to come to our student house parties in Bristol (well, once or twice) and seemed alright. Not an arsehole by any means, more of a ‘thinker’.

nealglover
    Free Member

Interestingly, the guy playing the zombie arcade game later popped up as a contestant on Take Me Out.

Not really “interesting” though.

The way Derren brown often selects his “targets” is by setting up fake casting interviews for TV shows, people who apply to attend these are also likely to apply to appear on other shows too. And this guy ended up on take me out eventually.

In isolation, it doesn’t really show anything.

…In both cases, unscripted but he knew what was expected and behaved appropriately.

It’s pretty funny that you think Take me Out is unscripted though 🙂

Cougar

Makes you think, doesn’t it.

copa
    Free Member

The way Derren brown often selects his “targets” is by setting up fake casting interviews for TV shows, people who apply to attend these are also likely to apply to appear on other shows too. And this guy ended up on take me out eventually.

Nah, anyone who appears will know they’re taking part in some kind of a Derren Brown production. The exact details/name may change but they’ll know generally what they’re getting involved in.

There are a number of reasons – producer guidelines, insurance, health and safety etc.

It’s pretty funny that you think Take me Out is unscripted though

Fair point.

DezB
    Free Member

It’s pretty funny that you think Take me Out is unscripted though

Yeah, need more insights into TV from clever folk like this

Stevet1
    Free Member

Two comments –
    The people that went through with the push. I was shocked – there wasn’t that much coercion involved. I’d be worried if I was one of their friends. They pretty much demonstrated that they would commit murder if it was in their interests. Surprised the police aren’t having a word.

Secondly, if you went to one of the castings you’d now be wondering if every situation you encounter has Derren Brown behind it…

nealglover
    Free Member

Nah, anyone who appears will know they’re taking part in some kind of a Derren Brown production. The exact details/name may change but they’ll know generally what they’re getting involved in.

Are you persevering in insisting this to be true, despite the fact that you didn’t watch last nights program.

This was covered in the first five minutes of the program that you didn’t watch.

There are a number of reasons – producer guidelines, insurance, health and safety etc.

Peoples poor logic is often explained by “health and safety” isn’t it 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Derren Brown , what an arsehole’ is closed to new replies.