Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Derby(shire) bikers – who does your..
  • danti

bike maintenance?

I’m alright for changing chains/chainrings/cassettes/brake pads…basic things etc

But when it comes to adjusting gears/fitting new cables/bleeding brakes/fitting new BB or headset/ wheel truing or building a bike I usually take it to someone and it looks like I may have to find a new source as they’re moving away.

Anyone care to recommend an enthusiastic home mechanic or shop that doesn’t charge the earth and without having to wait weeks to fit you in.

Please no unhelpful comments about learning how to do these things yourself, I’ve even enquired about helping out at Bike Back but due to them only opening during office hours this is a non starter.

Thanks in advance

tomhoward

I’ve not been in in a long time, but Samways on Ashbourne Road in Derby always did good work for me.

LS
    Free Member

Which bit of Derbyshire are you in?

danti

Just north of Derby so don’t mind travelling a little way, say up to 15 miles.

the-muffin-man

Before I learnt how to do it myself I always used Stanley Fearns in Matlock. I can’t vouch for their current service but they’ve been going a loooong time and have many loyal customers.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I got a quote from Stanley Fearn for pressfit bottom bracket replacement and the labour alone was £40 which seemed very steep. The guys I ride with also find him too pricey.

LS
    Free Member

In which case you’ll just be in striking range of Zepnat in Matlock. All good lads, know their stuff inside out and would be my first choice if I needed any work doing.

al2000

Samways are decent, or try Big On Bikes at Little Eaton – heard good things about them.

http://www.bigonbikes.co.uk/

MoreCashThanDash

Cyclo Monster at Spondon are my current LBS of choice.

Partly because going into Love Velo could be an expensive marriage ending financial disaster. I wish they’d get rid of that Tripster!

fr0sty125
    Free Member

tomhoward – Member
    I’ve not been in in a long time, but Samways on Ashbourne Road in Derby always did good work for me

When I ask to get something basic done they are like we can do that in 2 or 3 week.

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

Live in Matlock…..would go to Stanleys for an emergency part….but always too busy to help….would not use anyone in Matlock.

18Bikes if you fancy a day out with the family….else if I get stuck I now use Bike Rehab in Sheff…..

al2000

When I ask to get something basic done they are like we can do that in 2 or 3 week.

Never been quoted times like that. They are usually pretty busy, and especially busy in the summer holidays / run up to Christmas but most small jobs they’ve done for me (brake bleeds etc) they’re usually done same day or next day.

ianfitz
    Free Member

Bit further away but 18 bikes in hope is my LBS. Ride or drive past several reputable Sheffield based bike shops to get there.

Great knowledge, honest advice and three top chaps who make getting bike bits sorted an absolute pleasure.

No link except as a satisfied customer…

jeffl

I’ll second 18 Bikes. Do most maintenance myself but used them a couple of years ago when riding round Hope Valley way as my cup and cone bearings needed tightening on the rear hub. Fitted it in no bother saved me having to travel back home (Chesterfield) to do it.

Haven’t used Bike Rehab but did buy a gear cable from them a month or so back. Turned out it was almost as cheap as CRC and way cheaper than Evans. Seemed like nice guys asked if I had everything I needed to fit it, without the hard sell. They were also giving some good advise to a guy bying some cranks/BB for a boardman hardtail.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I can recommend someone just south of Sheffield! 😉

sprocker
    Free Member

I am in belper and do repairs, servicing etc don’t charge alot, drop me an email if I am nearby.

woody21
    Free Member

18 Bikes or Stanley Fearn’s

There was someone at Calver that did servicing

matt007
    Free Member

Hi danti, I’m just in Allestree, if you just need quick jobs doing like the ones you mentioned (save for wheels / full build which will be a bit more time consuming, though I can do either), drop me an email and I’ll give you my mob. No.

Bring the parts and a beer and I’ll swap you for a cuppa, and I’ll lend you my tools and show you how to do it yourself.

I’d also happily just take you’re cash off you if you just want a drop off and have it done service.

You can check out my bikes which are all custom builds if you want to check if I’m capable.

danti

Hi matt007,

Emailed you re the kind offer.

Cheers
    Dan

iain1775
    Free Member

DavesBicycleWorkshop http://davesbicycleworkshop.com
    BigOnBikes Little Eaton
    Cyclomonster Spondon
    Mercian Alvaston
    Park Cycleworks in town have been helpful sourcing odd parts for me from Madison (Shimanonclutch mech internals)

I tend to avoid Leisure Lakes due to unclear pricing and Samways and The Bike Shop on Monk Street for no other reason than they gave me bad service many years ago and always too busy for quick turnaround (may be better now)

Further afield Dale at Sherwood Pines is a top mechanic and very reasonably priced

munkster
    Free Member

Not necessarily one for the OP (may be a bit far) but anyone in Derby/south of Derby might also want to consider Birkins Cycles just north of Hatton near the Salt Box. I’m not affiliated in any way but he’s a good guy and small outfit…

http://www.birkinscycles.co.uk/

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Derby(shire) bikers – who does your..’ is closed to new replies.