Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Derby to Aberyswyth off road-ish route – how best to plan the route
  • MaryHinge
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple of weeks off in the summer, and plan a steady cycle to Wales from Derby, and back. Maybe 30 miles per day.

I would like to keep it off road-ish if possible, and given the distance think that some dismantled railway lines would be good to get the miles up, also means I could use my kaffenback with rack and panniers, rather than my FS MTB.

Will be lightweight camping, probably a mix of “wild” and sites.

Any ideas on how to plot the route for downloading to GPS? The online route planning sites that I have found seem to have roads, or satellite only, and not OS style mapping. Do I just need to bite the bullet and buy more Tracklogs?

alfabus
    Free Member

simplest way would be to follow sustrans 54, then sustrans 81:

Open Cycle Map

no idea what the signage or surfaces are like on those stretches – likely to be very suitable to kaffenback & panniers though.

Dave

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Cheers Dave, will start looking over that route to see if I can work out the ground.

I think some Sustrans round here goes through a country park, and old railway, and some back roads and a bit of cycle route, so should be ideal.

Might try and cut a few corners with a bit of proper off road too, which will be a laff on the Kaff’ 😆

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Derby to Aberyswyth off road-ish route – how best to plan the route’ is closed to new replies.