• This topic has 12 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Sam.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Derailleur shim
  • amack23
    Free Member

Is it OK to use part of an inner tube as a shim on the front derailleur?

joshvegas
    Free Member

You would need something more solid i would have thought.

What deraileur and diameterz are you needing?

amack23
    Free Member

I have a sram X9 32mm clamp, too big for my wanga frame, so I assume it’s 28.9mm

cynic-al
    Free Member

Try it, I suspect it might be ropey.

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Coke can? A few thicknesses might work?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ashy are your coke cans 10 x the thickness of most? 😛

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Ha! Didn’t read the bit about needing about 3mm worth of shimmage. Umm. Baked beans can?!…

belugabob
    Free Member

My hybrid currently has a jubilee clip (with the screw bit cut off) as a shim – has been working fine for several years.
    No idea what size clamp or seat tube are involved, though.

duncancallum

I’ve used a plastic pipe before and the shims you get for fitting lights to handle bars.

Worked fine.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Inner tube makes it hard to get the derailleur on perfectly straight in my experience as the tube does not compress evenly when you clamp it up, it worked but worked much better in terms of rub/rattle when i butchered the plastic spacer from a different sram derailleur to fit the one i had.

RustyMac

2l bottle of fizzy pop, drink it then go to town with the scissors.

ads678

I’ve used by inner tube for this before and had no problems at all. Go for it.

Sam

3mm difference in dia means 1.5mm thick shim required. You want something solid, i.e. not a rubber inner tube. I have some thin Al strip I got from Wickes or some such that I use for this kind of job. I have also used the offcut end of a steel steerer sliced in half then hit a few tims with a hammer to get the diameter right. Steel will rust unless treated though.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Derailleur shim’ is closed to new replies.