Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Derailleur hangers?
  • Cougar

Hi,

I've seen quite a few posts suggesting adding a spare derailleur hanger to your emergency kit for longer rides. Now that I've actually worked out what that is 😳 I had a look on t'web last night to see about getting spares for my bike and my OH's.

Question is, how on earth do you identify what you need? Googling for the bike model + hanger just returns hits to bike adverts (listing 'replacable hanger' as a feature and such), searching for the frame type returns things for older models, and I can't find anything from the manufacturers other than 'it's replacable.'

Am I just being monumentally thick, or is there something fundemental that I'm missing here?

Cheers in advance, etc.

Cougar

Oh,

bikes are a Specialized Rockhopper Pro 2010 and a Marin Eldridge Grade 2010.

peachos
    Free Member

try betd, they're probably your best bet for identifying which you need.

donsimon
    Free Member
    sas
    Free Member

Try searching on this site for something that looks the same:
    http://derailleurhanger.com/

Once you've narrowed it down try searching your favourite online bike shop, or just go to your LBS.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Take off your current hanger and use the pictures e.t.c on the wheels manufacturing website to identify your hanger. Take code to local bike shop and they will order one for you. The code will be something like WMD020 (giant OCR I think).

http://wheelsmfg.com/content/section/4/27/

Cougar

Ah, yeah, I stumbled over betd. It doesn't appear to list current models though (for example, the Specialized page shows models 200x – 2009.) I don't expect there's much change between 2009 and 2010, but wasn't 100% sure.

The Marin doesn't appear to be listed at all. Trying to download their "PDF of all products" takes me through the shopping cart process and looks like they want to post it to me…?!

Cougar

I found this yesterday but the site was badly broken so I moved on. Looks to be back up now though, cool. Ta.

Cougar

Again, doesn't list current products, newest thing on there is 2009.

akira

If you get really stuck then speak to Specialized and Marin but BETD will have the right ones, email them.

Luminous
    Free Member

I've used pearce cycles for hangers before. Good selection and prices, when I was stocking up on such stuff.

Cougar

However, http://derailleurhanger.com/specialized.htm does.

"Hanger #65 fits: … 2010: Enduro (Pro, Comp), FSR XC, Rock Hopper (Comp, SL, SX, HT)…"

Win. It looks like the same numbering system used on other sites too. Cool.

Still can't find the Marin though. The only EG on that site is 2008's model.

dmetcalfe
    Free Member

if you only want it as a spare just get an emergency one like this, then it can be used on either bike or for anyone your riding with, then just get a new one if you need it

clicky

B_Leach
    Free Member

Cheapest place i found for hangers was an ebay shop called Pilo, they do an absoloute load of hanger types as it's all jobbed up by themselves..

Cougar

BETD will have the right ones, email them.

Yeah, good call. I think that's what I'm going to have to do.

BETD are recommended as a place to purchase from also then? Never heard of them before yesterday.

Cougar

if you only want it as a spare just get an emergency one like this,

Oof, good spot. Assuming it works (I'm wary of 'one size fits none' solutions), that's perfect, and saves me about 20 quid. Thank you.

MarkN
    Free Member

That will/should get you home but if you break your original hanger then you will still need to get the proper one.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Cougar – Member
    http://wheelsmfg.com/
    Again, doesn't list current products, newest thing on there is 2009.

Did you take off you hanger and compare it to find the one on the site? Just because the listing of hanger x fits bike y is not upto date does not mean it is not there. Hangers get used on lots of different bikes.

dmetcalfe
    Free Member

yeh its only good to get you home, but if your not replacing one just keeping a spare i would say its the best option.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Any Specialized dealer will stock the one for the RH. Look here for which one. EBC also do Marin hangers (link).

Cougar

That will/should get you home but if you break your original hanger then you will still need to get the proper one.

Yep, that's entirely the idea. I'd rather carry a universal spare to get us home and then fix it properly, than buy parts for both bikes that I'll probably never need. If we do have a mechanical, I can get it home and then put the universal back in the toolkit for next time.

Did you take off you hanger and compare it to find the one on the site?

No, cos I'm bone idle that seems a lot of work for what I want to do when the bikes aren't actually broken.

Cougar

Having looked at all the links, and at the existing hangers (without disassembly), I'm fairly happy that the RH one above ^^ is correct. The Marin is proving trickier though – it's moulded to the frame pretty closely, and doesn't look like anything I've seen thus far.

The moulding also makes me worry that the universal idea might not work. Anyone any experience on this? Is it generally jury-riggable? Am I worrying unduly even considering this as a problem?

Thanks for all the feedback thus far incidentally, it's really appreciated.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Derailleur hangers?’ is closed to new replies.