Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 319 total)
  • Depression – Why dont we talk about it?/ your experiences please
  • roper
    Free Member

Just as with physical challenges, some of us are able to cope with far more than others. Some may go through life being able to cope admirably with anything life throws their way.
    Some of us are less able to cope, and may falter at seemingly insignificant life events.

I disagree. Neuroscience is suggesting severe mental health problems are a brain function, accompanied by an emotional reaction.
    Some people suffered with mental health problems for years or most of their lives. I certainly wouldn’t put these people in the category of ” less able to cope” or coping ” less admirably”.

cinnamon_girl

Worth checking that vitamin levels are optimal.

xcgb
    Free Member

Wow!

Just logged back in and read all the comments i wasn’t expecting this many replies but i guess thats my ignorance of how widespread this is.

Thanks Guys its helped to know your stories good and bad and i hope it has helped others realise that thee is treatment that works and there is no shame in asking for help.

Cinnamon girl – yes I am taking vitamin B as i read it can help as a mood lifter

thanks again all of you! 8)

birky
    Free Member

Thanks Guys its helped to know your stories good and bad and i hope it has helped others realise that thee is treatment that works and there is no shame in asking for help.

Indeed.

And first step taken … just made an appointment with my GP.

xcgb
    Free Member

Birky

That is great so glad to hear it 🙂

It is indeed good to talk!

Squidlord
    Free Member

Good for you Birky.

I’m sure all the comments on this thread are well-meaning, but a few of them indicate just how often depression is misunderstood.

If something goes wrong with your stomach, it affects your digestion.
    If something goes wrong with your heart it affects your circulation.
    If something goes wrong with your brain, if affects your thinking.

I expect it’s a bit more complex than that, but the point I’m trying to make is that it’s an illness, not a weakness.

My psychiatrist says there’s a lot of it about right now, due to the economy, demanding employers etc. So you are definitely not alone.

Peronally, I’ve found that recognising and confronting the problem is the best thing you can do. Sleep hygiene is a very big help to me. I’m also on SSRIs (Zoloft). I’m ill. It’s a drag sometimes but it’s not the end of the world. Despite what my head tries to tell me sometimes!

xcgb
    Free Member

I’m sure all the comments on this thread are well-meaning, but a few of them indicate just how often depression is misunderstood.

Agreed, 2 months ago I would not have understood either,now i do.

though I find it hard to say the D word now as it is. Hate it .

maybe it should be renamed fluffy brain or something! 🙂

scuzz
    Free Member

HELLO EVERYONE 🙂

My mind is relative. It likes to compare things to other things to get a grasp of what’s happening. Depression suppressed any good aspects of anything and exaggreatted the bad. I would then get lost in my mind, focussing only on the bad and spiralling deeper and deeper into this irrational world I created in my head where everything was bad. This would happen in the car. On the bus. On the sofa next to someone I love. At the pub. Halfway along some singletrack. I wouldn’t even notice it was happening.

I would drift through my days in this daze. I thought ‘other people aren’t like this’. I realised I was depressed.

Although my mind is the gateway through which I experience everything, it isn’t the only thing in the world: Food and sleep are necessary. Forcing myself to eat and sleep was my number one priority. No matter what happened in my mind, I needed to eat and sleep.
    This gave me something absolute, a grounding, something solid against which I could fight any bad thoughts.

I realised I was wrong, there were other people like this. There were other people who were depressed, and a lot of them are doing very well.
    I read Simonofbarns(?) mentioning CBT on here. I looked into it, but I could never find any ‘instructions’.
    I started reading classic philosophical novels and opened my eyes to the fact that there are so many different ways of looking at the world. There isn’t one fixed viewpoint, there are hundreds. I considered lots of them – but I wasn’t searching for the right ‘religion’, ‘life philosophy’, or ‘spirituality’. I just realised that there is more than one way to look at the world. Having depression tinge everything wasn’t the only way.

So, I began to fight it. Everytime I realised I was having depressed thoughts, I would pause and tell myself that a depressed outlook was no more valid than a happy one – I was simply having depressed thoughts. I would then reconsider the good aspects. Try and see them through the depressed fog. But as I mentioned before, I would slip into this depression without even realising it, so spotting that it was happening was the hardest part. It still is.

Once I spot it though, I’m fine. I bring myself out of it by reminding myself that I need to be my own friend.

Basically, it’s unlikely any of the above will work for you, but I found that taking the time to examine myself and the thoughts I was having worked very well.
    Hope that helps

redsox
    Free Member

I am, depressed that is, and I have been for the last 10 years.

Seems so long now that I find it difficult to remember what It was like to not be depressed in some way. I did spend an awful amount of time a few years back being bounced around different medical types who had different takes on what it was and how to treat it.

At the moment, i spend inordinate amounts of the day in a mood that ranges from sarcastic, depressive, obsessive, argumentative, quick to temper amongst others. What I do find difficult is finding a happy mood for any length of time. I’ll get an idea in my head (for example, I might learn how to ride a motorbike) and obsess about it for hours if not days then all of a sudden, after deciding to change everything about myself to fit into a mould that I believe you fit in to, will talk myself out of it.

It affects my work, my chance of moving forward at work, my relationship with my wife and how I am with people.

On the bright side – My doctor is taking it seriously and has referred me to the psychiatric nurse (?) at the local hospital. Also after hours of checking my symptoms online (the weirdest lately, electric shocks in my hip) have pointed me to Generalized Anxiety Disorder – for some reason I need to give it a name.

Not wanting to talk about it seems to be one of the symptoms – I’ve got it in my head that people would get sick of me talking about it.

And I can’t even get out on the bike because my back wheel is knackered 🙄

xcgb
    Free Member

Redsox

that sounds pretty tough, from what I have read though it should be treatable you just need to find what works for you. At least you are having treatment so there is hope

some good info here

Generated Homepage

Good Luck – I feel for you

SilentSparky
    Free Member

For those that have been to the Doctors, what do you go in and say? how do you get the ball rolling on getting some help?

senorj

the scuzz post is excellent. –

silent sparky – tell doctor how you feel , describe physical symptoms ,
    panic attacks , lack of sleep & no get up and go maybe?
    Ask about treatments available.
    What choices of medications are there , any benefits/side efects of one over another. You may benefit from a referral to psychiatric nurse for counselling.

xcgb
    Free Member

For those that have been to the Doctors, what do you go in and say? how do you get the ball rolling on getting some help?

Me – it was a case of going in and bursting into tears! that said enough really. but doc was really good ,next time i went I just had a high pitched emotion voice trying not to cry. last time i was able to discuss how we can move it forward and even laughed a bit!

Think you just need to be honest docs say they are seeing an increase with the financial crisis and all

xcgb
    Free Member

Oh and I deliberately chose a female doc as i find it easier to talk to women (i’m a bloke)

redsox
    Free Member

cheers for that xcgb, i’ll have a right good look at that. Sorry if it all came across a bit doom and gloom.

One bit advice I can give to the sufferers, little things. Sounds stupid but doing the little things seems to give me more enjoyment and fulfillment than anything else. Just done some hoovering and listening to Boards of Cananda at the moment. Do a little of the coding I keep putting off, take the dog out and get dinner ready for the wife coming in will give me a sense of accomplishment today than wondering how I can afford a BMW 1200GS and a new car, and a holiday to the US and a new bike and all the crap in life that I don’t need.

jezabel
    Free Member

Another injury in the space of 12 months has brought on my depression again. Anti-depressants helped last year. I now have the support from my bf who’s been great but I’m still struggling. My bf thinks I should try manage it as that is what works for him. Don’t really know what to do as I don’t want to upset him 🙁

TuckerUK
    Free Member

What if (unlike many, but not all who seem to have issues with depression) your depression is because there are things wrong in your life? Just how insignificant does it have to be to be something you’re supposed to be able to cope with?

There is no ‘supposed to be able to cope’ that I am aware of. Merely the undisputed fact than some can cope better than others, the reasoning behind that, and the desire to improve the lot for those of us you are unable to cope so well.

My depression (although part of Bipolar Disorder) was all because of life events. I suffered various levels of depression from childhood though to mid 40s until diagnosed and treated. It is not the events that are key, it’s how we react to those events. We know this is indisputably true. Look at those adults that are abused as children that have managed to put it behind them. Ditto children that have suffered life changing injuries. We also know that we can train ourselves (or alloy ourselves to be trained) to react different to external events.

I disagree. Neuroscience is suggesting severe mental health problems are a brain function, accompanied by an emotional reaction.
    Some people suffered with mental health problems for years or most of their lives. I certainly wouldn’t put these people in the category of ” less able to cope” or coping ” less admirably”.

Merely repeating what various mental health professionals and manuals have taught me. In King’s Lynn we are very lucky mental health service wise. I have easy access to some very qualified mental health professionals. I’m in no position to doubt their expertise or disagree with them (although I am living proof that their beliefs do hold true for ME). You of course may be.

StuF

We’re currently worried our son (14) has depression. He’s currently very down, unhappy with how school is (he’s endanger of being excluded cos he refuses to do work / arguing with teachers), part of the problem is he is smart and very sharp linguistically – he runs rings around me + most of his teachers when trying to have a discussion. His school is at a loss of what to do and his teachers haven’t seen anyone like it before.

Today he said there’s no point trying at school cos he thinks he won’t get a job even if he gets gcses.

He used to ride his bmx all the time – he hasn’t restarted that since the weather getting better – ‘cant be bothered / I’m no good / I’m not getting better’

We thought about trying to get him to the docs but he doesn’t want to – I don’t think he realises there is potential problem.

We’re at a loss as what to do with him and how to get through to him and that we have his best interests at heart.

I’m hopefully taking him to his first mtb outing to cannock at the weekend which might lift him a bit.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

As per xcgb, I was also a nervous wreck in tears (or very close to).

They will likely give you a paper test to judge the severity of your depressions.

Be warned though, not all GPs are either trained in mental health issues, or actually give a hoot. I know this from the experience of one family member, and from my discussions both with other very highly qualified health professionals and other mental health illness sufferers.

If you GP isn’t giving you the service you feel you deserves, change GPs.

roper
    Free Member

TuckerUK
    Your post above makes more sense to me now. I do agree there are triggers and learned mechanisms which can reduce the spiral down, with depression, or up, with manias. My understanding of medication and CBT is that they can be there to help take the edge off and allow a person gain a better understanding of whats going on. However there is still biological aspect which can trigger on a more sporadic patter. As you know, more often than not, someone with bipolar disorder will need medication, even during the level times no matter what changes they have put in place.

I just think that someone who manages to cope with mental health problems, sometimes life long, should not be seen as coping less admirably or not coping as well. I would even say they are coping extremely well considering they brain they have to use.

iolo
    Free Member

I’m bipolar. Ultra rapid cycling. I’ve tried everything, from psychiatrists to healing women.
    I can truly say I’m struggling. I’ve attempted suicide twice and on both occasions been committed.
    People say I will get better. I can only hope that’s true.

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Can I ask what depression is?

The reason I ask is that I feel I am going into the realms of depression currently and dont really know what to do. My current workplace Is extremely difficult and im just a retail manager but it is really getting me down. To the point where I have been taking sleeping tablets, I get extremely anxious, and im now at a point where I dont want to get up in the morning and more recently even don’t want to ride.

Could this be the beginnings?

molgrips
    Free Member

He’s currently very down, unhappy with how school is (he’s endanger of being excluded cos he refuses to do work / arguing with teachers), part of the problem is he is smart and very sharp linguistically – he runs rings around me + most of his teachers when trying to have a discussion. His school is at a loss of what to do and his teachers haven’t seen anyone like it before.

Sounds exactly like me.

xcgb
    Free Member

Can I ask what depression is?

The reason I ask is that I feel I am going into the realms of depression currently and dont really know what to do. My current workplace Is extremely difficult and im just a retail manager but it is really getting me down. To the point where I have been taking sleeping tablets, I get extremely anxious, and im now at a point where I dont want to get up in the morning and more recently even don’t want to ride.

Could this be the beginnings?

I would say it could be but first stop should be your GP. Honestly please go, I wish I had gone sooner but when you are in it you really cant see the wood for the trees

Have a look at the link and see if it fits you

http://www.depressionalliance.org/help-and-information/what-is-depression.php

roper
    Free Member

iolo
    I am also a rapid cycler(not just on the bike).
    Do you have a CHT you can speak to?
    I do have a good psychiatrist and with a mixture of monitoring, making changes and checks appear to be on the right path.
    I am no expert but am happy to chat if you need a shoulder or want to vent. You are not on your own and it does get better.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Bump.

Reached a bit of a low point yesterday and realised that I just need to sort my life out. Went to my GP this morning….no tears or anything like that, just laid out my feelings….he’s prescribed me Fluoxetine and referred me for CBT.

Not sure what to make of it to be honest?

Northwind

SilentSparky – Member

I just laid it out- they’re doctors, you won’t shock them. I just monologued it, “This happened then that happened then this brought it to a head at which point I called you”, that’s just how it seemed to make most sense. It was more embarrassing when I had to go in for the rash on my bum tbh.

16stonepig
    Free Member

Meet Allie Brosh

She seems to be able to describe depression far, far better than I ever managed. And in a more entertaining manner.

birky
    Free Member

Went to my GP this morning….no tears or anything like that, just laid out my feelings….he’s prescribed me Fluoxetine and referred me for CBT.

I was at the docs on monday, got quite upset and couldn’t speak for the first 5 mins 😳
    Been put on Citalopram which I’m not sure about, the common side affects are a worry, and also referred for CBT. If the appointment is a long wait I might go private. There’s a counselor nearby who also lectures in CBT at local uni.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Nothing yet… just run with it see how it goes. 😉 I haven’t read any of your other posts if/there/any – I think you’ve made a smart move though..

Meet Allie Brosh

THAT is a piece of genius, Mr 16stone. True genius. LMFAO – AND it describes exactly how I’ve been feeling for last few months. A revelation..!

xcgb
    Free Member

I was at the docs on monday, got quite upset and couldn’t speak for the first 5 mins
    Been put on Citalopram which I’m not sure about, the common side affects are a worry, and also referred for CBT. If the appointment is a long wait I might go private. There’s a counselor nearby who also lectures in CBT at local uni.

Birky I am the OP and I was the same as you. I have been on citalopram for 6 weeks now and I am glad i did take it.

Be aware though I did get worse for a couple of weeks it took until week 4 or 5 before I satrted feeling much better. I had some side effects yes, they were unpleasant but bearable. IT WAS WORTH IT LOOKING BACK NOW THOUGH

This blog helped a lot, not written by a doctor but a sufferer. It is long and his experience is extreme ,but it has a lot of truth in there, a big one being dont bother taking it unless you are going to stick with it for at least 2 months (probably 6 -12 really)

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=46980

But it has helped me, I am a different person. You really cant see it when you are in it.

Its not the whole answer though I am doing CBT too and I think it helps but the jurys out on that one.

Feel free to Email me if you want a chat (email in profile)

Tom-B
    Free Member

I’m worried about this ‘it gets worse for a couple of weeks’….I’m going on holiday in 10 days time….will it be a tough period?

Christ my post is just begging for a #firstworldproblem

thepurist

Tom – you may not experience any major side effects. I was worried after reading horror stories on line but had a pretty easy ride. In fact my worst time was just after starting with all the anxiety over what they were going to do to me. The downside is that they don’t appear to have done much for me other than take the edge off the worst days.

xcgb
    Free Member

Tom
    Not everyone get the side effects, when i say worse I was actually on holiday too, and it was OK although it did affect my sleep quite a lot (although i wasn’t sleeping much any way so I may have been bad without it)

I had night sweats, mind chatter,anxiety,dry mouth,some shakes, But it was still worth it

Thats the problem with it you dont know what you would have been like without it so its hard to judge.

Only thing I can say is that I wish I had started taking it months ago. the sooner you start the sooner you will feel better!

To reiterate though SSRis are not a cure, they just give you a chance to sort your problems out which is where the CBT comes in.

I highly recommend Yoga too its helping a great deal, as I have a teacher that has suffered from depression too.

xcgb
    Free Member

Thepurist

You may want to see your GP to check if the dose is high enough or maybe try another one?

thepurist

xcgb – not sure if I’m expecting too much from them TBH. Have increased dose in the past & discussed it again with the GP, but other (qualified) people have said that my experience isn’t unusual so not sure about the hassle of transition from one type to another etc. Anyone else want to comment on how the drugs made them feel? Was there really a new dawn or was it just a case of the hole not being so deep?

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Some of us do, just not on here.

See some of my experiences and thoughts on my long term fight with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder such as this http://compulsivflyer.wordpress.com/2013/04/10/going-public-with-your-ocd/ at my blog or on Twitter @compulsivflyer

The couple of times i have entered threads on this commonly misunderstood and ‘joked about’ illness on here i have been shouted down for not having a sense of humour! From where i sit, some things just aren’t funny.

As for medication, although this is anxiety not depression related, the treatment is similar. SSRIs and CBT exposure therapy.

xcgb
    Free Member

Anyone else want to comment on how the drugs made them feel? Was there really a new dawn or was it just a case of the hole not being so deep?

I wouldn’t describe it as a new dawn, just feeling more like how i used to. My CBT trainer says its me doing it rather than the drugs but she would say that! (i am on a low dose though)

I wouldn’t have understood depression or anxiety before. I do now and its a scary lonely feeling,

I have found researching it has helped in a blokey needing to fix it sort of way. this is one of the reasons I started the thread as the more i talk to a few selected people about it the more I realise just how widespread it is. There is still a stigma about it, but you must accept it is an illness

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Tom B – Member
    Bump.

Reached a bit of a low point yesterday and realised that I just need to sort my life out. Went to my GP this morning….no tears or anything like that, just laid out my feelings….he’s prescribed me Fluoxetine and referred me for CBT.

Good stuff – the drugs seem to help a bit, the side effects arent too bad. I found I went through phases of sleeping to much, and then not being able to sleep at all in the first few weeks, but after that its back to normal.

I don’t even know whether they help much though, I probably feel less anxious, but still feel very low quite often.

CBT might take a while, I eventually had one meeting and the woman said she wanted to refer me to some other CBT guru. Just tell them you feel suicidal, they’ll try and prioritise you.

16stonepig
    Free Member

This may confuse things a bit, but I found I didn’t like the medication at all.
    It certainly did help settle my mood down – I had less of the crushing lows that I used to have, but it also seemed to make me feel a bit numb in general. One of the biggest problems I was having was that I had lost (and still seem to be missing) my drives or any sense of desire or motivation. SSRIs stopped me caring that they were missing, but didn’t improve them.

I can totally understand how they would be useful in certain situations, but I think they were precisely the wrong approach for me.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 319 total)

The topic ‘Depression – Why dont we talk about it?/ your experiences please’ is closed to new replies.