Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Depression and Overeating… Please Help!
  • Jamie
    Free Member

I s there a way we can file share some kind of league/ tracker to encourage each others weight control (in a sensible non over doing type way) I’m thinking gaming it a bit as that sort of thing works for me?

So what I am hearing is Autumn/Winter chub club is a go?

Get on it Jon 😉

….or. MFP group maybe.

Hohum
    Free Member

I have been on Sertraline for 18 months now and in that time I have put on a stone.

It has increased my appetite considerably, even though I have reduced my dose down from 150mg to 25mg.

However, it works much better for me than Fluoxetine did.

So, I have to decide do I want to carry a bit more weight or do I want to feel down in the dumps?

Mood is more important to me at the moment, particularly as we go into the dark half of the year, shudder!

I have joined a gym recently and I am going to increase the amount of training that I do over the autumn/winter and hopefully lose some weight.

molgrips
    Free Member

The last thing you need when your feeling down is to impose puritanical constraints on yourself

Knowing the OP somewhat, he appears to share this trait with my wife. She’ll be far too strict with herself, try far too hard and eventually fail and feel all depressed about having failed then give up totally thinking ‘what’s the point?’

Weight loss or any lifestyle change has to be a gradual thing that’s comfortably achievable. Otherwise it’s doomed.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Forgot to mention earlier that I went through various anti depressants from ~1998 to ~2003, including Prozac and Sertraline.

I got fed up of always feeling poker faced, regardless of whether something good or bad happened. Perhaps not the cleverest move, but I went cold turkey, rather than phasing out the meds.

Aerobic exercise is great for mood lifting, as I’ve discovered again this year, but I will be the first to admit it’s far harder to keep that motivation when there isn’t a bright blue sky from ~0500 to ~2100 at night.

timidwheeler

How about you promise yourself that everytime you eat something you shouldn’t have you will do an hours exercise to make up for it, an hour long walk is fine. Hopefully this will make you think twice about eating it and if you do eat it you will negate some of the calories and get fitter.

Also don’t have bread in the house. Have alternatives like rice cakes, rye bread and rivita. Enough to stop you going to the shops but not as nice as a Walbertons.

Jamie
    Free Member

Also don’t have bread in the house. Have alternatives like rice cakes, rye bread and rivita. Enough to stop you going to the shops but not as nice as a Walbertons.

Quid a box, 11kcal per stick and quite tasty.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Ton
    not unknown for me to eat a large warburtons loaf in a day.

Lightweight! I’ve done 4 loaves in a day 😳 😳

Couldn’t poop for sooo long 😯

Hang on – this isn’t a competition, is it…

The bread thing is interesting; Gail’s Bakery is a place of wonder, but has to be avoided 99% of the time.

RobHilton
    Free Member

So what I am hearing is Autumn/Winter chub club is a go?

Get on it Jon

….or. MFP group maybe.

I’m pretty sure he’s had enough of being the poster boy for the resident heavyweights/eating disorders r us society. I just had a peek at MFP and they’re tied in with Under Armour*, so that’s a no-go for me.

I’ll take a look at doing it in google sheets -> google analytics; should be pretty easy, I think.

Edit:*Connection to big game hunting

brassneck

This, mostly. I do have particular difficulty between 4:00 p.m. and 9:00-ish. No idea why.

I do that and I have no excuse. I do however have a big fat belly.
    I’m also veggie which theoretically is a better diet full of the right sort of things, but turns out to also not rule out of crisps and bread and ting. 🙁

Carrot sticks and houmous, pumpkin and sunflower seeds – these work for me as snacks but what I really need is harsh discipline.

timidwheeler

The bread thing is interesting; Gail’s Bakery is a place of wonder, but has to be avoided 99% of the time.

With me I think it’s wheat rather than just bread. I really struggle to resist pasta and pastry too.

dcl

I have the same problem with bread and pasta. Cannot resist anything that isn’t good for me. It is particularly bad when tired, busy or stressed at work. Cycling really helps but is difficult with kids and work.
    Managed to shed 1.5 stone but stuck now and can’t seem to move further down. Mainly managed this by cutting down on snacks and protein sizes. As much as I dislike Facebook it popped up with a photo memory from 2 years ago with a my proper pie face. Hopefully this will nudge me off again.

SaxonRider

@brassneck: Ting? Are you West Indian?

molgrips
    Free Member

To the OP – may I suggest trying protein shakes? They are sweet, yummy and very filling, and contain little carbohydrate.

Also noticed that the OP does not drink much or consume much carbohydrate during rides. This makes me freaking starving. I find that taking on carbs during riding and immediately after (doesn’t need to be the suggested 60g/hour though, I usually do half that) then stops me craving food later. If I don’t do this, I tend to get very bingey.

If you tootle or even pootle, this may not be a factor, but the OP definitely pushes himself and is in it for the fitness.

SaxonRider

I suggest you book a week on Majorca with me early May. The target is there to keep fitness … and fit into your summer kit too.

Now, that would be cool. I’ll check with Mission Control…

RobHilton
    Free Member

It’s associated with this here thread, so why not, Rob asks himself??

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/stw-chub-club-2017/page/43?replies=1497#post-8742562

Wookster

Nice one Rob I’m in!!

Ton do you want to play a game!?! A pint for the biggest loser?!?!

stwhannah

Sometime around this time of year I usually start knitting. It takes so much concentration I can’t drink and knit, and it keeps my hands too busy to eat. The downside is that I can’t watch any Scandi Noir / anything with subtitles as I need to look at my knitting. And I’m basically crap at knitting so I end up with a lot of scarves. Or hats that don’t fit. But it does stop me eating constantly.

If you simply have to eat, how about plain popcorn? Pop it yourself and don’t add any flavours and it keeps you busy without consuming loads of calories. Massive bags of popping corn are available for very little money from our local Asian supermarkets.

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Depression and Overeating… Please Help!’ is closed to new replies.