Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Depression and a blip
  • supercarp

After some help. Last year I was struck down for a second time with depression and anxiety. However I have been doing well combination of medication and other therapy.

But I have due to a very sudden and stressful work situation had a real blip. Not sure whether I should just ride it out for a couple weeks to see if everything settles or go back to the doctor. This is the first time I have felt like this in about 9 months

jamj1974

I had a blip last January. New job, appalling handover with a deluge of objectives and tasks chucked at me. I started taking my Citalopram again (Which I had stopped, slowly and carefully.) and was able to ride it out with a lot of support from my family and a couple of trusted friends.

Despite the above, I would personally recommend going back to the doctor as a first action. This initial step will probably reduce your anxiety somewhat.

Take care of yourself – my email is in profile if you want some more detail on my experience.

Jay

thepurist

Imagine your post said “I’ve suffered with severe back pain in the past and have just started a new job where they expect lots of lifting and carrying. My back has flared up and is hurting like hell, so should I just carry on for a few months and see if it gets better”

What advice would you give yourself then?

SaxonRider

thepurist makes an extremely important point.

Please don’t wait to tackle it.

MoreCashThanDash

Similar issues here over the last year – think Jay may have been one of the ones who contacted me after I posted.

I’d certainly suggest discussing it with GP. They can review your medication in case it might help. Maybe have a chat with a counsellor to help you get your head a bit straighter. But make sure you are keeping up with any exercises/practice’s that help you, to easy to “not have time”

If it is work related, do you have a stress risk assessment in place, and are they upholding their end of it? That was what caused my blip this year. Civil service may be more approachable about this but they have a duty of care if you are vulnerable.

Being cynical, if work are letting you down, or try to manage you out, having a record with your GP may help your case as well.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

It’s funny you should post OP; I have found myself in the same situation these last couple of weeks.

Had a couple of busy weekends at the start of the month and I contracted a nasty cold; I have found I have been barely able to function the last couple of weeks. Have also been trying to ween off the medication which is a **** nightmare.

Can’t work, no energy, can’t even ride my bike. I find myself back on STW….

I dunno how long to give it till going to the Dr’s myself. Unfortunately my usual Dr is on maternity leave and I don’t like the guy standing in for her, so just putting it off really.

I dunno what your work are like, but I’d probably just have a chat with your manager and see if you can take a bit of time off. May help you get your mind straight. Think I’m gonna take tomorrow and Friday off and try and get some fresh air and sunshine; might inspire me to carry on going for a bit longer!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Depression and a blip’ is closed to new replies.