Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Depression – 5 months on…
  • tangerine
    Free Member

A while ago I started this thread

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/what-encouragement-for-depression

and I thought I would let you know how I was getting on, in the hope that it might encourage anyone else who might find themselves in a similar frame of mind that things can get so much better.

After 5 months on anti-depressant meds and seeing a mental health nurse every few weeks, I have been able to come to a much better understanding of what was going on. This, for me anyway, was the critical thing. Just being able to make sense of things – abusive childhood -> low self-esteem -> emotionally reclusive -> marriage problems – is half the battle. There is still a way to go, no doubt, but at least with an appreciation of what needs to change this is possible, rather than floundering about feeling shit but clueless as to what to do about it.

My wife and I have also been doing this http://www.relationshipcentral.org/marriage-course which I think was written by a church, but is very practical and apart from the odd bible verse dotted through it has very little religious emphasis at all. It just goes through the basics you need for a solid relationship, and it’s been a huge benefit for us both. I guess we were fortunate in that, whilst we had both got to the point of wondering if we would all (3 kids too) be better of if we split, neither of us really wanted to, so the motivation to at least try and fix things was there.

So, instead of spending hours of my day, every day, contemplating shooting myself or looking for a suitably large tree to drive my car into, these thoughts don’t cross my mind any more. I’m seeing the GP at the end of the month and will be looking to wind down the meds. They have been useful, in that they seem to give enough of a lift that you have the energy to deal with whatever is wrong in your head.

I know that it can go up and down, and this might no be the end of it, but I also know now that depression can be overcome, which was the point of this post really.

Thanks for the encouragement last time around.

Tangerine

dave-c
    Free Member

That is awesome, I wish you the best in keeping on top of things. I was in a simlar frame of mind a while ago and knowing that there is a light at the end of the tunnel seems to be half the battle.

IHN

Brilliant, good work fella.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Excellent. Good on you. I hope it all continues in this positive direction for you

senorj

glad to hear you are in a better place.
    nice one.

freddyg
    Free Member

Thank you for sharing that – I’ve been there before and feel I’m slipping down that slope again. Your post has given me a poke and told me to get off my arse and do something about it. Sometimes it just seems easier to wallow.

solarpowered
    Free Member

That’s wonderful news! Chuffed for you 🙂

footflaps

Well done for getting this far, Depression is a formidable foe.

franksinatra

good stuff. Just one thing, don’t rush into dropping the meds too soon. You sound like you are still working through stuff and the meds are giving you the ‘boost’ you need to do that. If they are not giving you any side effects then no harm in keeping going a bit longer. Don’t make things any harder than they need to be

(I’m not a doctor, obvioulsy the opinion of your GP is far more valid than mine!)

Good luck.

aracer
    Free Member

Did you get to see the mental health nurse through the NHS? Was a ~9 month waiting list when I saw a gateway worker – it appears I wasn’t put on the waiting list either (which is a pain, as it would have been useful to see somebody in that timeframe – I’m still struggling a year on).

It is good to read a positive story – personally I stopped taking the drugs because I didn’t feel they were doing me any good 🙁

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Great news, fella.

I had it ‘mild’ by comparison. This time last year I was nearing the end of divorce proceedings and was being royally fvcked-over by my now-ex-wife who I’d devoted my life to for 22 years. When everything was over – no wife, no money, (no furniture!) new house, new life – I was empty. I tried furiously to stay positive (life was now a new, blank page, after all), but I could feel I was on the brink of crashing all the time. Eventually I gave in and sought help.

Anti-depressants and a course of CBT kinda helped.

Finding a new, nice young lady helped even more. 🙂

willard

Really good news! It sounds like you have the measure of it now and are well and truly kicking it to touch. Keep getting better.

redsox
    Free Member

Well done fella

I too have been a sufferer of depression, going on ten years, and have only recently taken it upon myself to do something about it. Had counselling in the past that unfortunately didn’t work, neither did the anti-depressants……but then what works for one might not work for the other. Glad you’ve found something that fits

keep up the good work

tangerine
    Free Member

Cheers. I remember being encouraged by what others on here had posted about depression, so thought I would do likewise, given that it’s been a largely positive outcome.

Frank – no, no rush at all. The GP asked me last time if I wanted to reduce them but I didn’t at that point as I didn’t want to regress back to the state of mind I had been in. I feel now is the time to think about it though.

Aracer – maybe 4-5 weeks to see the mental health nurse, but it’s about an 8 month wait to see the CBT person, which I haven’t reached yet, and I’m not sure if I will now to be honest. All through the NHS.

granny_ring

Good news, well done.

andeh

Great news! Keep up the positivity!

Dylan08
    Free Member

Glad you’re through it buddy! I was diagnosed with work-based anxiety depression last year and although i managed to ‘pull’ myself quickly through it and out of the woods, it was a grim time and made life hell for my family (wife & son) & my friends etc. First time in my life I ever felt that down so the hardest part for me was comprehending what it was that was going on in my head. Have a great year & more importantly a happy one! 🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Depression – 5 months on…’ is closed to new replies.