Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Depression….?
  • ton
    simonfbarnes
    Free Member

no

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Hug? 😉

ton

big lad, even your arms wouldnt go round me….

Andy

Lets all join hands so we can give the big fella a hug 😆

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

ton hasn’t said he IS depressed yet…

ton

think it is more a mixture of boredom and anger, rather than depression.

zaskar
    Free Member

I like The Stones!

Get out and ride ton me old chap!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

think it is more a mixture of boredom and anger

I always think of boredom as a personal failing, unless one is actually trapped, and I learned from CBT that much of anger is a reaction to other people breaking your self imposed rules, which for the most part they know nothing of…

ton

simon, talk **** sense man….

Smee
    Free Member

Ton – that is probably the mst sensible post SFB has ever posted.

Come up and visit – you’ll not be bored then.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

simon, talk **** sense man….

Tony, I don’t know what you need. Feel free to call me on 01524 843474 if you wish 🙂

marsdenman
    Free Member

<links hands with TeeToSugars in order to provide a hug> 😀

ton

sfb, i meant talk in laymens, so i can understand 😉
    mm…… 😳

Smee
    Free Member

My interpretation of what SFB said is, if you’re bored get off your arse and do something. Then if you are getting angry, try not judging folk by your rules – one which they may not know they are breaking.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I’ve got a brand new combine arvester!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

sfb, i meant talk in laymens

I meant, life is to be lived – and there are so many possibilities that it’s a criminal waste not to exploit those you enjoy. No one is responsible for your happiness but you, so it’s no point complaining you are bored when you have so many choice.

We often get angry with people when they don’t follow what we think are “the rules”, but everyone has their own set of personal rules, sometimes similar but different, and no one else knows what those rules are, or when they’re transgressing them. Once you realise this there’s less reason to get angry.

rockitman

Ton, 12 months ago I was in the depths of despair. I’d had a “bi polar episode” (manic depression), gone completely nuts, left my wife and everything I’d spent years building and “come round” to find this trail of destruction. In the space of a week I was told about the bi-polar, the wife moved to Australia (we’re now divorced) and my dad was hospitalised in a pretty serious condition. It was horrendous. I couldn’t take much more.

The only advice I can give you is to go talk to someone who doesn’t know you from Adam. It helped me loads. And try and find something to throw yourself into. I hadn’t been on a MTB for 17 years and I dropped £3k on a Yeti without even a testride. Why? Well if I’d spent that much I would ride the thing in wind, rain and hail, and I have.

Dunno if that helps, but if you want to chat let me know. More than happy to help. Oh and smile, you’ll feel much better 🙂

poly
    Free Member

I always think of boredom as a personal failing, unless one is actually trapped

I think that depends what you mean by “trapped”. If trapped includes mental/emotional restrictions on freedom (as well as the obvious physical ones) then OK. To my mind (and I ain’t no expert!) its very easy to see how boredom could spiral to create an emotional state that makes you less likely to bother doing anything and then more bored and so on. Perhaps ultimately that leads or contributes to (clinical?) depression. Certainly cracking that cycle is important. I’m not sure that the best way to fix the problem is to tell someone they are a “failure” though. Although I do take your point – your own boredom is the one thing you can do something about (p1ss1ng away your life on internet forums is probably not the best way!)

ton

**** me poly…….harsh…. 😥

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I’m not sure that the best way to fix the problem is to tell someone they are a “failure” though.

OK, agreed. But you have to understand that I have overcome depression, and now have contempt for it, because I know it is mostly self inflicted – kind of destructive selfindulgence. In any case, I was specifically talking about boredom, which can affect anyone, but the answer lies in your own hands and mind.

Why? Well if I’d spent that much I would ride the thing in wind, rain and hail, and I have.

Well, if that works for you, fine, but my bike was very cheap and I do the same 🙂

Moses

Strange choice of record for non-specific depression. Paint It Black’s the reaction to to the death of a baby & its funeral. It’s the song I want played loudly at my own.

project
    Free Member

As somebody else said find somebody who looks trustable, and interesting, and pour your heart out to them it works, and does you good,people willing to listen are around, the thing is finding them.

duir
    Free Member

ever feel like this?????

Yes, every day for 36 years.

Free Member

Tony,

Come to sheffield bud, a mate of mine runs a really good pub and serves a top pint of landlord, some decent riding a stones throw away from the boozer too

Work is a bit quiet at the moment so have a bit more time than i’d like.

Top track by the stones, and yep, its easy to get into the cycle of boredom… cycling is good for the soul/karma and when we don’t do enough of it, all kinds of shite happens.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

As somebody else said find somebody who looks trustable, and interesting, and pour your heart out to them it works

I would reject that. It’s unhelpful to rely on others to fix you when it’s your own responsibility. Why make their lives worse too ? No one has more time to spare to attend to your problems than yourself 🙂

Come to sheffield bud, a mate of mine runs a really good pub and serves a top pint of landlord

alcohol is a depressant 🙁

RudeBoy
    Free Member

that much of anger is a reaction to other people breaking your self imposed rules, which for the most part they know nothing of…

Blimey, Barnes; you’re not just a pretty face, are you? 😯

I’ve had pretty much this exact condversation with someone I love, today. Who felt really bad, that they’d been ‘insensitive’. They haddunt; it was me who was at fault.

I was talking to a mate of mine yesterday, at some length. He’sa psychologist, and very intelligent feller. He said that feeling depressed is perfectly normal, in his onion, and that people shoon’t feel stigmatised by this fact. We all of us get depressed at some stage; just that some of us suffer more than others. Some of us have better coping strategies than others.

Expressing feelings on here is not that bad a way of trying to deal with things, tbh. I’d say STW is pretty unique, in this respect, mind. That there are many sensitive, caring souls on here.

I don’t think any one person has the definitive ‘answer’, but between us, it’s probbly in there, somewhere. You just have to find your own truth.

Chin up, Big Man.

Sonor
    Free Member

I think the statistic for the UK is that one in four of the population has a form of mental illness, that includes depression.

Black! Black! Black!

RudeBoy
    Free Member

alcohol is a depressant

Mm, yeah, but it tastes better than abject sober despair…

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

but it tastes better than abject sober despair…

and part of the problem, not the solution

Free Member

I happen to think of a good few beers as like pressing the reset button on a PC when its been on for a week and grinding to a halt (am thinking of the old desktops in my old job) – you press reset and they spring into life with a breath of fresh air and seem to operate that bit easier.

Not that I condone drinking to excess, but for me, 4 or 5 once or twice a month see’s me right, and i’m pretty much happy all the time 😉

Coupled with blacka moor being 10mins by bike up the road, its a lovely place to go for a quick ride around blacka/lady cannings/houndkirk etc and then back to the boozer for a cheeky half.

Err, the pub is the Crown Inn if you ever fancy it 😉

samuri
    Free Member

That’s one of my most favourite songs that.

Depression though. Yes. I know that story. Mine’s manic. Euphoria followed by a black, black hole. Seems to have calmed down a bit now but a month or so was the worst I’ve experienced. I missed a few days. Came back to a confused family and a workplace with a few angry colleagues. I know not of boredom but anger is a fairly common theme.

When I was a lot younger I let the anger come out (and got in trouble a fair bit) but that doesn’t bode well for relationships so tried very hard to keep it away. Now I rarely lose my rag but the flip side seems to be a roller coaster of emotion.

I echo what Simon has said for the most part. Talking does help but for me (one of my issues is a seriously demanding workload), just backing off and doing bog all (something i’ve not done for about 25 years – normally I can’t sit still for more than 5 minutes), just sitting in the sun and reading a book or watching a film, made a massive difference. And riding my bike. What a wonderful thereputic experience riding a bike is. I started commuting, it truely changed my life at that stage.

Trampus
    Free Member

Ton, I don’t know you’re relationship status, but are you “gettin’ enuff!”

The days are lengthening and the sap is rising!

Riding a bike is fun, but…. 8)

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I used to enjoy the euphoria, though it was relatively rare – but I don’t miss it for equanimity 🙂

RudeBoy
    Free Member

and part of the problem, not the solution

Of course, it can be.

But alcohol lowers inhibition, and can facilitate a person ‘opening up’, whereas they might not, without.

I’ve learned some really deep stuff from mates, over a few (too many) pints. Stuff that has been very important, in helping sorting things out. I appreciate that alcohol can lead to very serious problems; I’m not pretending it can’t. But it’s therapeutic qualities are oft overlooked, in the hysteria surrounding the ‘scourge’ on our society that is alcoholism. I’m not trivialising the problem, merely trying to offer a balanced view. In certain circumstances, a bit of booze can work wonders. certainly shoon’t be discounted, as a tool in aiding self-realisation. My GP thinks that my ‘self-medication’ is not necessarily a bad thing, as long as I am able to impose limits on my drinking. Which I am (mostly) able to do.

Now, you may be anti-drug this and that, but certain drugs can be very effective tools, in our quest for self-discovery and enlightenment.

What a load of bollocks it all is though, eh?

Pass me the Valium….

wilma
    Free Member

I was shadowing a Gp a few months ago and one of the patients was very deeply depressed. She kept idealising suicide and looking me in the eye saying she’d had enough of life and ‘wanted out’. She also said that she overdoses on sleeping pills in the day to make her sleep so she doesn’t have to think about anything…
    It was without a doubt the most deeply saddening things i’ve seen, took me ages to stop thinking about her..

Anyway, that’s my depression story.. At least you have a new bike to play on ton?

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Depression though. Yes. I know that story. Mine’s manic.

Ah, nice one! Same here, mate (Chinks glasses with Samuri).

Thing is, Ton; you’re definitely not alone. Likelihood is, several people you work with ‘suffer’ from a similar thing.

I really believe that being open and honest, certainly with yourself first, is crucial. If you can open up, in a ‘public’ situation, about yourself, then I think that’s half the battle won.

I have no qualms about discussing my depression with others. a problem shared, and all that.

And I don’t care what anyone thinks of me; I’m better off, for being able to open up.

RustySpanner

Trampus is right Ton.

Spring has sprung – time to get yer big white woolly lamb suit on and go gambolling around.

And have a day on your own just doing what you fancy – no pressure to help anyone else, no rushing around trying to please everyone or make sure the kids are doing the ‘right’ thing.
    Eat your favourite food, ride your favourite trails, listen to your favourite bands, jump around the living room playing air guitar, build a model plane, stick pins in a doll, whatever works for you.

I used to find that talking to a stranger really helped as well.
    Not religious at all (far from it in fact) but used to talk to the local priest occaisionally when life got a bit much.
    It’s like therapy but they’re not allowed to charge.
    Yorkshire therapy if you like. 😀

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Now, you may be anti-drug this and that, but certain drugs can be very effective tools, in our quest for self-discovery and enlightenment.

I’m sceptical that any drug can achieve more of either of these than regular introspection.

in the hysteria surrounding the ‘scourge’ on our society that is alcoholism

it’s not hysteria, and sub-alcoholic consumption has many ill effects too

eldridge
    Free Member

much of anger is a reaction to other people breaking your self imposed rules

My spectrum of sources of anger about rule-breaking ranges from people anti-socially parking across white lines in car parks to countries illegally invading other countries.

These are not “self-imposed rules” that other people are unaware of. My anger arises from the fact that people committing these acts know their behaviour is unacceptable, but persist in it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Depression….?’ is closed to new replies.