Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Deore Shadow mech
  • Kunstler

I’ve managed to wreck the cage on my (standard) deore rear mech. No amount of twisting is going to salvage it.

So I was just about to order a direct replacement and saw a deore shadow which is actually cheaper. What’s the difference – shadow or non?

Oh,and also – long cage/short cage what are the advantages one over the other?

sam_underhill

Shadow sits closer to the block so, in theory, less likely to get a bash. I think some people have reported they are more fragile, but I’m not sure. I’ll be going shadow next time for sure.

Long cage / short cage depends on the range of gears you’ve got. I can’t remember the details but if you’ve got a regular 22-32-44 with an 11-32 cassette I think you’ll need to have a long cage.

Kunstler

Thanks Sam. I think I’ll avoid fragility – seem to get a lot of twigs jamming the works at the moment.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Mister-P
    Free Member

Deore only come in long cage. You need to go up to SLX to get a choice of length. But as a rough guide triple up front = long cage, double up front = medium cage.

jonb
    Free Member

I don’t know if it’s the same with deore but my XTr shadow the bit that connects the body to the hanger is thinner than the hanger. So it snapped without any visible damage to the hanger. Bit annoying seeing as a hanger is £15 and an XTR mech over £100.

Personally I’ve since stayed away from Shadow stuff.

billyboy
    Free Member

DO NOT GO SHADOW

They will just give you problems

Kunstler

Shadow avoided. Thanks chaps.

Pieface

xt shadow has been fine for last 2 years

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Deore Shadow mech’ is closed to new replies.