Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Deore M615 brakes – which pads?
  • wanmankylung
    Free Member

Can’t find anything definitive on any of the sites that I’ve looked at. What pads do I need?

martinhutch

The ones I use are shimano A01S

It’s the old XT/XTR shape.

superstu
    Free Member

”S5″ on superstar from what I recall if you want a cheaper alternative. Or at least I hope so as I just ordered four pairs. They’re on special at the moment use code July25 for 25% off. Have sold out of organic but still had some Kevlar or sintered pads when I looked last night

martinhutch

That’s weird. One of us has to be wrong (it’s usually me BTW, so don’t worry). Superstar S1 will definitely fit my brakes, which begs the question – are my brakes 615s? It’s certainly what I thought I bought!

Hmmm

My levers look like that, but the calipers are different. Which makes Stu right, as predicted. Wonder what I’ve got?

P-Jay
    Free Member

The ones in that pic are wrong, I think they’re the old ones.

As above SS call them S5 they start at 6.50 and go up to 8 quid or so for Kevlar – there’s 25% off at the moment if you use code JULY25

The OE Shimano pads are only 8-9 quid from CRC, but they’re 100% compatible with the Coolwave pads from the XT/SLX brakes if you fancy some fins on them, but TBH mineral oil brakes have never once given me problems boiling so I personally don’t bother – I get Kevlar pads for the Alps, but otherwise organic year-round.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I thought Deore M596 are S1 and m615 are S5.
    martinhutch – Member

You have M596

P-Jay
    Free Member

@martinhunch – Shimano brakes are dead easy to swap parts on and almost uniquely they sell calipers and levers separately – could you have 615 levers and older calipers perhaps?

martinhutch

I thought Deore M596 are S1 and m615 are S5.
    martinhutch – Member

You have M596

This fact I have just realised. 😮

Looked back at the online order – definitely 615s, and arrived labelled as such. Arsehole Halfords. Some time ago now, not sure what could be done about it.

nickjb
    Free Member

I think most of the design changes are in the lever and higher model calipers. Only real difference will be the pad style. A pain but not a big issue.

granny_ring

Reckon you’ve got 596s OP which use the pad Martin has shown.

martinhutch

No, I’ve got 596s, he’s got 615s. All my advice is rubbish, as usual. 🙂

granny_ring

LOL I got confused then, yes YOU have 596s 🙂

superstu
    Free Member

Martin, just returning to this and got a fright but see I have ordered the correct ones thankfully!

wanmankylung
    Free Member

So S5 it is then. Cheers.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Deore M615 brakes – which pads?’ is closed to new replies.