Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Deore hubs longevity?
  • dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Looking at a wheel build and wondering whether Deore hubs would last as long as xt and its the weight difference or whether there are more reliable internals on the xt?

flap_jack
    Free Member

Got a ten year old one still going strong. Trigger’s broom though, new bearings and freewheel a couple of years ago. Easier to set up bearings than XT as it has 4 nuts not 3.

mboy
    Free Member

The key to Shimano hubs lasting a long time is regular maintenance, and greasing them properly from new.

If they’re left for too long, the balls can start to wear and then pit the cones, but if regreased properly every so often they will last a long time indeed.

Oh, and they come with barely any grease in from the factory, so pop them open when new and fill with grease and job’s a goodun.

emanuel
    Free Member

even if they do die,you can buy another deore hub from germany/crc sale and swap the internals.
    it’s a 10min job.
    thus avoiding the wheel rebuild faff.

takisawa2

XT’s will go rough after a while if not looked after. XT’s are a bit smoother to start off with, but no matter which you choose, neither come with much grease when new. I’d happily use Deore, just got to keep on top of servicing. There isnt much weight difference in it.

coatesy
    Free Member

Good hubs, as long as you remember to get the M525, not the M475, which isn’t actually branded as Deore, looks similar, but has pretty poor seals.

ampthill

even if they do die,you can buy another deore hub from germany/crc sale and swap the internals.
    it’s a 10min job.
    thus avoiding the wheel rebuild faff.

But you can’t change the bearing surface in the hub?

sprocker
    Free Member

Feel smooth when you get them then like all shimano hubs you end up messing about with the cone and cups. Get something with cartridge bearings less hassle.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The key to Shimano hubs lasting a long time is regular maintenance, and greasing them properly from new.

This ^^^

Lots of good grease and proper adjustment from new and they’ll be fine

Also agreed on the 475 hubs. The seals are cack. Proper 575 Deore hubs have proper seals and can be made to last forever.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I don’t understand the hate towards Shimano hubs??? Bit of TLC every now and again and they go and go and go etc…..

cynic-al
    Free Member

The hate does seen to have died down since recent bannings.

Rorschach
    Free Member

With judicious use of a big hammer you can change the non driveside cup (thanks Al for the tip).

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ahh, so it is possible. Knock it out from the other side I take it? Will an XT cup fit in a Deore shell?

mike_p
    Free Member

Never got on with Deore hubs personally, I tend to destroy the freehubs and they’re not very well sealed. No such problems with XT though, they’re one of cyclings real bargains

FOG

I had some on a bike that I sold to a mate so know for a fact they are still going strong after 10 years.
    Agree about XT hubs though. I have 2 sets in wheels about the same age 4-5 years, and have had to replace cones and bearings as well as freehubs on both recently. However the cost was about that of one Hope freehub and didn’t take very long.
    As for being unable to replace the hub side of the bearing surface, they seem to be made of stronger stuff than the replaceable part and both my rear hubs are running true and free although I have only obviously swapped the cones. You do have to be very careful though as XT hubs have very subtle differences between different models even with the same axle size

rocketman
    Free Member

Have had a Deore freehub break but it wasn’t catastrophic the pawls broke one at a time. Have also got 2 sets of 20mm XT wheels both just keep going and going. Adjusting the bearings is no more difficult than adjusting a headset imho

Deore hubs are £25 inc freehub, cones and axle and tbh I find it very difficult to see or feel the difference between an XT freehub and a Deore

faint
    Free Member

lasted a lot longer than some of the cartridge bearing hubs I’ve had.
    Just wish they would fit a grease port in the centre of the hub like the old road hubs had an oil port.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Deore hubs longevity?’ is closed to new replies.