Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Deore 596 brakes – quick question
  • Scamper
    Free Member

Bought some of the above and their first outing was to the Alps, and very impressed so far. Easy to shorten without bleeding, standard resin pads lasted well (in the dry). No rotar drag or squeal, and power is all i need – possibly slightly down on elixir R when they work at their best but consistant.

However, may be imagining it, but i think the levers are pulling closer to the bars now – to about 1.5 – 2cm, although power is still fine. Is this normal? Also, the hex reach adjustment allows the lever to be pulled to bar, if the reach is dialled in a fair amount – i’d have thought the design would not allow this to cater for a good range of lever adjustment?

Either way, although i’ve read shimano brakes should need less frequent bleeding, did a practice bleed and hardly any air was taken out. Very easy procedure, but difficult to not introduce air into the caliper via the syringe, and i did not see much get forced out into the reservoir yellow cup, but some came back out on the gravity bleed. Brakes seem to work as well as before, though.

epicbleedsolutions
    Free Member

Excess lever travel/spongy feel is usually down to air in the brake system. Air is compressed before the forces are transferred to the fluid and then onto the pistons. Although you’ve already done a bleed of the system it may be that all of the air has not been removed.

I would try repeating the procedure again to see if it helps.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Deore 596 brakes – quick question’ is closed to new replies.