Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Deore 596 advice
  • doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

Hi

I finally got around to ditching my avids and a set of Deore 596s arrived in the post last week.

They are weird euro style and I’ve seen the thread on how to shorten the hoses. I assumed the olive would come as part of the kit but I don’t have any, which is annoying because I was all set to swap the brakes over today.

This is presumably what I need.

I’m now off to see if I should just swap the untrimmed hoses over for now or live with the avids for another week.

To swap them over do i need to push the pistons out, i guess I do, as then it stops spillage from hose? And what to use to stop pistons touching?

Cheers

khani
    Free Member

Leave the pistons out til you’ve shortened the hose, when you’ve refitted the hose push the pistons back flush and it should push any air back into the lever reservoir,
    The hardest part is pushing the new barb into the hose, you really need the yellow plastic blocks that sandwich the hose before you push the new barb in, like these

I’ve found the easiest way is to put the blocks over the end of the hose and clamp em down with some molegrips then tap the barb into the end of the hose, then put the shroud nut over the hose and fit the olive and bolt it up,
    Be gentle but firm when you pull the hose off the lever, and keep the end of the hose vertical to stop any fluid leaking out.

doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

Well that was considerably easier than I had imagined. And soooo much better than those hateful avids.

I’ve still got some hose trimming to do when the olive arrives but will do for now.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Deore 596 advice’ is closed to new replies.