Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Deore 2010 brakes
  • LMT
    Free Member

Ive had these brakes for a few weeks they came pre-bled and ready to ride. Now since getting them they have felt well woolly when compared to my hayes 9's on my other bike.

I used shimano deore before and they didn't feel like this on the trail, the brakes stop the bike eventually and i have to pull the lever nearly all the way back to the handlebars to get full brake, while i just tap my hayes. Is this normal for newer shimano or do i need to do something to make them more responsive? new pads or a bleed??

Any advice?

Kramer
    Free Member

Shimano are generally softer than Hayes even when they're fully sorted, but it sounds as if they may need a bleed, as long as there's enough surface left on the pads.

LMT
    Free Member

Pads are brand new came with the brakes, so thought they would be ok, ive done about 40k on the bike since fitting the new brakes so should be loads of wear left in them.

Kramer
    Free Member

LMT, you can see how much is left just by looking at them. It's not unknown for pads to wear out that quickly if the conditions are hard.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

If they're similar to the SLX I've just fitted, with the servo wave action then power should come on gradually but as you squeeze more the power comes on very impressively.

I agree Hayes are probably more immediate than most other disc brakes but I'm very impressed with my SLX. I think mine need topping up with fluid as the lever comes close to the bar, but its still easy enough to lock the wheels, definitely a quick stop and not an eventual stop like you suggest on your Deores.

LMT
    Free Member

Ive had a tinker and they seem a bit sharper, not great but a bit sharper. Also had a nosey in my LBS will get them to have a look in the week to make sure they are right.

LMT
    Free Member

Also looked at the shimano website and they have a download guide, which gives 3 states of the lever, loose, slightly stiff and stiff, mine fit between the slight stiff and loose. But i can't see what state the lever should be in unless i missed it??

http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/SI/Bleeding_SI/SI_0037A/SI_0037A_002_EN_v1_m56577569830648123.PDF

As far as i can tell they just need an oil top up?

ginsterdrz
    Free Member

Fitted a set of 2010 Deores a few weeks ago and find them excellent. Had experience of Avid 3, 5 and 7's along with Hopes Ti Mini's.
    Did you leave the Deore's blades clamped against your bars overnight to get rid of all the air bubbles?

LMT
    Free Member

Not tried that! off to get some cable ties and do it now.

coatesy
    Free Member

Found quite a lot of the newer Shimano brakes to need bleeding properly before use for the very same reasons.

retro83
    Free Member

just sounds like they need a bleed to me.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Deore 2010 brakes’ is closed to new replies.