Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Dents on hire car
  • jools182
    Free Member

I’m in France and hired a car while I’m here

I checked the car over in the car park, looking at all the panels in the daylight and it was perfect

Second day, getting back into the car noticed 3 dents on the roof and another 3 on the bonnet. They look like intentional damage using some kind of pointed object.

Is it worth reporting to the police at all? I know that I’m going to have to pay if the hire car company see it, but I’m wondering if a crime number or something will help at all?

jeffl

They’ll still bill you for it so I wouldn’t personally bother. I presume you took out 3rd party excess cover?

soobalias
    Free Member

last week i got back to the hire car to find the window put in and everything stolen.

the hire company want the full excess for the window/door damage and a charge to clear out the broken glass. police report not worth the paper they printed it on.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    STATO
    Free Member

police report not worth the paper they printed it on.

Ever thought it might not just be about you? It could help them identify an issue, even just as simple as correctly recording the amount of crime about. With budgets getting cut falsely recording the level of crime will only lead to less budget being allocated.

mrmoosehead
    Free Member
    poltheball
    Free Member

You might get lucky…

I was driving for the uni 3 day end-of-year mtb trip this year, hired a minibus through the uni. For the duration of the trip I was the only sober bloke there (I was designated driver), so that van took quite some abuse… Think folk dancing on the roof/playing “round the van”/trying to ride bikes down the bonnet.

The poor van took a bit of a beating, big dents on the roof and scratches all over, quite a few smashed bottles of Peroni inside as well.

One of the lads had a sucker mount for his GoPro that we used to pull the worst of the dents out, and when I got home I gave the van a proper wash/polish to try to get rid of/hide some of the scratches. Swept it out and sprayed plenty deo inside to try and get rid of the beery aroma.

Handed the van back the next morning, and waited inside like a man at the gallows while the bloke inspected the van outside. He came back in, informed me it was perfect, and bade me farewell.

You never know, your inspector might be half asleep when you hand the car back in!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Dents on hire car’ is closed to new replies.