Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Dentist this afternoon – root canal treatment – slightly scared!
  • martinhutch

OP has not been back on yet to give us an update…

paul4stones

I usually do several root canal treatments a day. Patients regularly fall asleep.

A job done six months ago shouldn’t fail like that and I certainly wouldn’t charge you to rectify it. Especially if you paid hundreds, ie privately.

organic355
    Free Member

Just an update for those having something similar done.

All went fine*, he cleaned out the root canal, removed the dead nerve and managed to fill it last night (sometimes you have to go back a few days later).

Cant say it was a pleasant experience and the smell of the enamel getting drilled was disgusting, also tasted pretty rank, not sure if that was just the enamel or the actual infection.

Better ways to spend £250 me thinks, but done now. Now got to look at what dont cosmetically as the tooth has darkened. Think A crown is the last resort and going to look at a veneer and whitening it 1st.

*procedure was fine, but I have an irrational fear of needles and got a bit “clammy” after the injection so had to get my head tilted down. Also did gag a bit for the xrays. Yes MTFU etc etc. 😀

Sandwich

qwerty The steel syringe surround is for people like my brother in law who bite things put in their mouths. (BIL is so bad he is anesthetised for all dental work ever since he bit the dentists finger and didn’t know he had done so until asked to stop!).

freddyg
    Free Member

Ha! Sandwich – I do that when I pass out!

When travelling to Saudi (early 1990s) my wife came with me to the docs to explain the complete and all consuming terror I experience when confronted with a syringe (same if I see one on telly – starting to feel very odd even just typing this). I was due to have 4x jabs in one session.

Doctor thought I was a wuss and putting it on.

Jab #1 sees me pass out and fall off the chair.

Jab #2 sees me so wound up I have my legs wrapped around the chair legs and white knuckles from gripping on to the seat so tight. I pass out and face plant. Doc rolls me into recovery to discover my tongue has flopped back – proceeds to insert fingers and recover tongue just as I start to come around. I realise there is a foreign object fiddling around inside my mouth and bite down hard. Doc yelps. Wife laughs like a loon and gives him her best “told you so” stare.

Jab #3 & #4 postponed and handed over to practice nurse. She was brilliant and made sure I was lying down when receiving jabs. This one girl spent ages reassuring me, talking to me all the while she was preparing the jabs out of sight. I didn’t notice when #3 was in and #4 felt like a slight scratch.

I still fill my pants at the thought of having to have one, but (because of this one great nurse) I haven’t passed out since what we refer to as the ‘fava bean’ incident.

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Dentist this afternoon – root canal treatment – slightly scared!’ is closed to new replies.