Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Dented Rim Help
  • carbosteve
    Free Member

I dented my rear wheel at the weekend (Mavic XM719). Is it worth trying to bend it out or best to just leave it. The dent is about 20mm long, 5mm deep. I’m not running tubeless and the tyre seems to be seated ok.

Annoying part is that I only got the wheelset about 3 months ago!

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

I normally bend them back. I haven’t had anything snap off yet (superstar XC430 and Mavic XC717)

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Give it a go, but be careful. Try a small adjustable spanner closed up on the affected section.

steve_b77
    Free Member

No worries, I put an inch long dent in my Stans 355 first time out, so I got the mole grips out, bent it back, filled the endge smooth again and put the tyre back on.

It’s be running tubeless for 2 years now and hasn’t gone down once or dented again

Northwind

A pic’d help. 717s are a fairly hard rim, so o’course that also makes them a wee bit harder to straighten, and also a bit more likely to stress/crack.

I use a massive adjustable spanner personally- the more lever you have, the more controlled you can be with the force. Lots of small corrections is the way to go.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I dunno if I’d bother. Much lighter, but I cracked an olympic doing this.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Put a flat some between spanner and rim to avoid cracking

carbosteve
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice.

Had a closer look at rim last night and the dent has mulitplied. I now have three dents! I should probably think about running higher pressures!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Dented Rim Help’ is closed to new replies.