Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Dented flow rim, repairable?
  • bruneep

Put a small dent in my flow rim. I can barely feel it if I run my finger on the rim, but it’s enough to loose air.
    Stuck a tube in to see me through the weekend.

Would adding fresh stans and more of it assist the sealing process, not really wanting to bend back the rim as it doesn’t seem that bad.

Anyone repaired a flow rim successfully?

singlespeedstu

Get an adjustable spanner on the dent and gently bend it back.

oxnop
    Free Member

Eh. I don’t get this…. All my bikes have flow rims on the rear and all have dents in (some are huuuuge) but I’ve never had any issues with loosing air.

I wouldnt bother bending it back, I’d remove the tyre, clean the bead and refit with fresh sealant. I’m 100% sure you’ll have no further issues.

bruneep

So back home Took the tyre off, cleaned, refited and new sealant added. All seems well must have been the tyre unseating itself off the rim.

B

messiah
    Free Member

Bodgetastic note for future – I dinged a flow rim very badly and no way was it going to seal again. I managed to bend it out but there was a crack in the rim so I formed a big chunk of liquid metal into it and shaped it internally so I could get the bead to seat. I left a chunk of the liquid metal on the outside to strengthen the rim. Once the liquid metal was dry I got the bead to seat and rode it like this for a few weeks before the cracked rim started to deform at the bodge and the crack became visible again. But by this time my new rim had arrived and I could rebuild me wheel 😉

Had the crack not started to come through the liquid metal bodge I was going to keep riding it to see how long I could make it last.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Dented flow rim, repairable?’ is closed to new replies.