Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Dentdale – Ribblehead bridleway
  • funkynick

Yes… well, when I say riding, I mean pushing and carrying through the boggy wet marsh that seemed to make up a large amount of the route across the top when I did it a few years ago!

Also, the descent down into Ribblehead had been 'improved' and is a set of rocky steps…

domino

Yes, did it earlier this year. Rode it from Ribblehead to Dent – I don't recall it being too bad (i.e. not too boggy or unrideable) and enjoyed the ride.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

At first it's firm stone with grass growing through to the gate after 200m, then it's steep gravel to the radio mast (tiring), after that it's heavily rutted and strewn with rocks and boggy bits for maybe 200m before you reach the sanitised bit (orange gravel). This gives way to bouldery rock with boggy bits when wet till you reach the next gate when it becomes grass all the way to just before the summit, where it's sanitised gravel again. The downhill is gravel with lurking channels cut by rainwater till you reach a cobbled stairway to a gate. Then it's paved with lumpy rock for 100m, then gravel over rail crossing followed by 2 rocky fords. If you go SO at railway underpass it leads to a shallow cobbled staircase down to the viaduct

by radio mast:

typical:

downill:

(the walled bit is where it crosses railway)

domino

Simon offers a much better description – I just remember when I have cr@p rides so I don't ride the same route again for a while. This wasn't one of them.

pennine
    Free Member

Basically, what Simon says. I rode it about 2 weeks ago and the going was good. Some photos here
    Craven Wold

Domino: Did you do Buckden Pike?

domino

Not yet Pennine, saving it for when I am back from my hols so likely to do it in September.

funkynick

I'm guessing I must have done it on a bad day… as I don't remember much else apart from the bog and the steps!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

the section above the mast used to much boggier, but a lot of it was sanitised, though not all the way down for some reason…

[edit] or perhaps they did and it was promptly washed away!

pennine
    Free Member

Must admit I pushed a bit on that rocky section Si 😳

funkynick

Aaaah, that might be why, thinking about it I don't remember there being any trail sanitisation after the mast until the rock steps on the other side.

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

Hi

Many thanks to all esp. sfb, for the feedback. Have a long weekend near Ingleton and may partake.

Cheers
    Paul

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Dentdale – Ribblehead bridleway’ is closed to new replies.