Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Dent in seatstay of Specialized Pitch
  • pinch_flat
    Free Member

So this evening I’ve found what I consider to be a fiarly sizeable dent in the seatstay of my specialized pitch. Fairly certain it happened this evening and I know how, I realise this is now a weak spot and it doesn’t help that its right where my foot rubs on the frame when I’m pedalling.

I normally wouldn’t bother asking I’d just keep an eye on it and make sure its ok but I’m off to the alps at the end of August and given the increased abuse and mileage my bike will take I’m a little worried about whether it will fail on me so what I want to know is whether its likely any significant weakening of the metal has occured? I would say the dent is between 1 and 2 mm deep and about the size of my finger nail. I would put a picture up but I’m not quite sure how.

cynic-al
    Free Member

will be fine.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Difficult to advise what i’d do without a pic – You need to save the photo to a photo-sharing site such as ‘PhotoBucket’ btw.

FWIW though a mate of mine had his Spec’Camber Chainstays replaced for £90 all in so if you’re really concerned that’s the alternative to risking it.

Hope that helps. Would like to see a pic tho…

pinch_flat
    Free Member

Could I link it in through something like facebook? only I don’t use photo sharing sites.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Not sure pal…

raisinhat
    Free Member

Upload it to imgur, faster and easier than any other photo sharing site, and you don’t need to bother signing up.

kimbers

yes right click on teh facebook image select copy image url and paste into the img window on the toolbar above the text box

fwiw ive had a 10p sized in the downtube of my dawg for over a year and its still going fine!

pinch_flat
    Free Member

Ok I’ll get some better photos tomorrow in natural light. I wouldn’t be bothered about a dent in the downtube as theres so much metal there but as this dent covers about 50% of one side of the stay I’m a little more concerned

cynic-al
    Free Member

seat stays aren’t under much stress bar compression.

Down tube is most stressed tube on the frame.

GW
    Free Member

Despite your longserving mtb credentials you are a roadie Al.

it’d be rude not to smash (pretty much a mini DH) frame like a pitch into corners and off jumps sideways.

cynic-al
    Free Member

You are telling me I am wrong?

nick1962
    Free Member

Near where your foot rubs? Chainstay or seatstay?
    FWIW I got a slightly larger dent in my seatstay on my Stumpjumper when I had an ermm controlled but unplanned dismount at Laggan a few years back.First day of my Highlands trip 🙁 Anyway I still managed to get in Golspie,Black Isle,Aviemore and Strathpeffer with no adverse affects but replaced it as soon as i got home £90.Easy DIY job.

GW
    Free Member

tiny dent in the seatstay should be fine but not something you can 100% assure someone of from a poor description over the internet.
    Seatstays (even roadbike ones) are subjected to more stress forces than simply from compression.

pinch_flat
    Free Member

Ok I’ve taken a load of photos to try to show the dent but due to scratches and shoe rub its rather difficult to make out. Photos of the dent. see what you think from these fairly unclear shots.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve had a similar dent on my Pitch for 2 years

IMG_8011 by PeterPoddy, on FlickrR

It’s been given a right hammering since and it’s been fine, Alps, Peaks, Quantocks, Tenerife etc. It doesn’t bother me anymore 🙂

v666ern
    Free Member

WHOA

that dents not far off 8m..!

😆

nick1962
    Free Member

Thought that was a pic of my dent !Almost identical and in the same place. Perhaps it’s a weakness in the design?
    Mind you if PP was riding his Pitch like his motorbike I’m not surprised 😉

cookeaa

It will be fine…

Whats the worst that can happen?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Thought that was a pic of my dent !Almost identical and in the same place. Perhaps it’s a weakness in the design?

It’s a weakness in the placing of rocks, nowt more!

You should see the down tube, it’s like that surface of the moon!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Odly mine has a big crape in the same place!

didn’t dint it but would probably be worrying if it hadn’t been helitaped (it’s cut through the tape and scored the metal).

Not a weakness like PP said, muist be somethign about they way Pitches make you ride that casues crashes where it lands on the ground near the Pivot!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Dent in seatstay of Specialized Pitch’ is closed to new replies.