Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Denmark looks like a good place to live
  • captaindanger

But does it have any mountain biking, particularly near Copenhagen?

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Judging from the many scene-setting shots of the horizon in The Bridge and The Killing, it’s as flat as a pancake.

muddy@rseguy

Yes, it’s a place called Sweden… 😀

jambalaya
    Free Member

Flat as …

My daughter spent a very happy year there. Expensive though.

mintimperial

Hmm. This is the highest point in the whole of Denmark, apparently.

So yeah. Flat.

lucky7500

Lovely attitude towards immigrants as well…or has that been forgotten about.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Flatter than Norfolk?

captaindanger

Spanner in the works there. Sweden not far though!

captaindanger

Though the south of Sweden looks dead flat too. I’ll have to keep looking, or take up cyclocross.

DrJ

Yes it’s a lovely place to live at least in CPH. Lots of trails reachable by public transport but obviously of the rooty path variety not the whizzing down mountains variety see eg http://www.singletracks.com http://www.singletracks.dk and other google-iferous stuff.

Bregante

Sweden not far though!

Southern Skane is flat as a pancake. It’s lovely though – particularly around Malmo and out towards Ystad.

cheers_drive

I grew up in Norfolk and now live in the Fens, and my wife is Danish so I feel well qualified to answer this. Definitely flatter than North Norfolk were I grew up, slightly less flat than the Fens. Apparently in the north of Jutland it is rockier and has some hills but I haven’t been. I have been to the Danish Island of Bornholm which I thought had the highest point in Denmark, it still wasn’t that high but I suppose you could call in hilly.
    Mrs CD wants to move back…

ebygomm
    Free Member

The area around Silkeborg is pleasantly undulating, but none of Jutland is rocky.

There are some nice trails around but it’s all rolling single track territory rather than anything more exciting.

DrJ

Southern Skane is flat as a pancake. It’s lovely though – particularly around Malmo and out towards Ystad.

Further up the coast towards Molle is quite rocky, and some beautiful places to swim in summer. Pretty idyllic in fact. Also there is Soderasen national park which is half an hour from Malmo and pretty hilly, but I don’t recall seeing any MTBers there.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Vallåsen bike park http://vallasenbp.se/
    In Sweden but the Danish National team train there . Well, the xc guys.

mintimperial

slightly less flat than the Fens

That reminds me of this thing, whereby some science dude proves that Kansas is actually flatter than a pancake.

I couldn’t live somewhere like that. I get the heeby-jeebies just driving across that flat bit on the way to Liverpool. I went to Norfolk once, it was not a pleasant experience.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well at 3hrs to Queenstown that’s not a bad shout there!

Mikkel
    Free Member

To clarify a few things.

Westcoast of Jutland is flat, then gets more hilly as you move East, this is all down to where the glaciers where during the ice ages.
    The islands have got their hilly parts compared to the West but ofcourse its not really much of hills if you are from the UK.

There is only 1 place in all of Denmark with rock (Northern Jutland is all sand, Europes largest moving sand dune is there),the island of Bornholm where they actually have a downhill track (again not much if you are from the UK)
    There is many tracks made lately in the flat western parts which is sandy soil with pine/fir woods
    As Ebygomm says the area around the lakes at Silkeborg is the hilliest place you will find for riding.

North Sjælland got lots of nice riding around the woods

You can do a great bike packing trip up the West Coast of Jutland following North Sea cycle route
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/83246699@N00/albums/72157622347428986
    you cant wild camp in Denmark but there is a lot of shelters build for overnight stays you just need to know where to find them.

I grew up on the flat west coast and used to find it a bit boring, now after living in UK for 12 years i have really got to appreciate the flat open space whenever i get back home.

munrobiker
    Free Member

We’ve just visited a friend who lives in Copenhagen for a week – he’s essentially giving up MTBing and buying a cross bike. He’ll keep his MTB for when he returns home but says, having tried to mountain bike over there, that it’s not worth it.

Cracking place to be otherwise, though. Really great. He’s trying to sort out citizenship/visa/marrying his Danish partner so he can stay following us leaving the EU.

Pigface
    Free Member

Have cycled around the Skagen area of Denmark, just fantastic fun but as said flat as a pancake.

In Finland it was pretty flat, some short steep climbs but nothing long, the going was interesting though, very technical with roots roots roots and more roots then the bottomless bogs 😆

wors

Lovely attitude towards immigrants as well…or has that been forgotten about.

Will they welcome the English? 😆

perchypanther
    Free Member

Surely the Danes could construct an awesome trail centre entirely out of Lego?

mmannerr

In Finland it was pretty flat, some short steep climbs but nothing long, the going was interesting though, very technical with roots roots roots and more roots then the bottomless bogs

Now that is a lie. Up north we do have some hills next to bogs. Plus a few midgets.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Ferry to Gotebörg and all the trails there is only 3 hours and about 40 euros (quite literally 100s of km if you know what you are doing and where you are going) probably quite a lot more gradient than all of Denmark put together 😉

wilhay
    Free Member

I have taken my bike over a few times.. look at Horsholm area a few miles outside Copenhagen.

Rude Skov did a leg of the Danish XC champs a few years ago

I blogged about it here:
    http://haywil.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/riding-report-denmark-training-camp.html

ransos
    Free Member

Everyone cycles and they have pastries. Food and drink are good, if notoriously expensive.

But they don’t seem very tolerant of non-white immigrants, and they’re really mean to pigs.

Pigface
    Free Member

Now that is a lie. Up north we do have some hills next to bogs. Plus a few midgets.

I was out East, didn’t see many midgets 😆

Koli was about as steep as it got near us.

DrJ

But they don’t seem very tolerant of non-white immigrants

I don’t think we’re in a very good place to make that criticism these days? In fact they are making a big effort to integrate the refugees they have accepted, in obvious contrast to UK.

BillMC

Scandinavians seem to go for dispersal, training and integration whereas we tend to go for concentration, isolation and alienation.

Mikkel
    Free Member

They do go for dispersal in Denmark but due to size of country that automatically also becomes concentration.

clodhopper
    Free Member

Very well designed furniture.

Pigface
    Free Member

Saw a funny thing about how Swedes see Danes, Swede listening to a Dane talking and in his head is this thought ” Not sure if he is choking or not” 😆

Made me chuckle anyway.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Denmark looks like a good place to live’ is closed to new replies.