Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Demoing/FR downhill bikes – Where and how?
  • lunge

Does anyone know of any shops (or indeed any manufacturers) that let you try out downhill bikes? Ideally places that are vaguely in the midlands, though I am happy to travel out towards Wales and the like if needed. I’m talking a real try out rather than a ride round a car park. I’m happy to pay for the privilege of this, I’m not expecting this service to be free!

I have some money to spend but really don’t want to spend it until I have at least ridden one in anger. I’ve never ridden a “big” bike before so am reluctant to throw any money at it until I’m sure I’ve found the right one.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

Torico (01258 473770) demo DH bikes, and are located less than 3 miles from the UK bike park in Dorset if that helps?

He’s got some Mondraker DH bikes that have just come back from hire bike duty in the Alps for crazy prices at the moment. Some Prayers as well if you want something a little less beefy.

Gleaming LBS for me, he even has coffee and cake sometimes…

gazc
    Free Member

i think pearce cycles used to do uplift days at bringewood/hopton etc where you could hire/demo dh bikes. not sure if still do now mind

lunge

Bumped for the lunch time set.

Thanks for the ideas so far.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Edge cycles in Chester let me book an Orange5 for the day. I just had to take proof of ID. I live next to the shop and pop in often, thier customer service is good too.

GW
    Free Member

What bikes are you interested in?

I normally have a pretty good idea of what bikes suit me then try to get a shot on mates/other DHers bikes. my biggest problem is that I like smaller bikes than anyone else I know so most are undersprung for me. Do you know any DH riders? might be a good place to start, get advice etc.

a Demo bike will rarely be set-up to your taste/weight/size/riding style. and even if you find something the right size tyre choice/pressures can make a huge difference to how a DH bike feels never mind suspension settings/spring rates etc. an ex Demo/hire DH bike may also be a bit ropey depending on use/abuse/maintenance

lunge

GW, the problem is I don’t know where to start and don’t know any downhillers! I ride downhill a reasonable amount but on a beefy hardtail, none of my mates ride DH at all.

I guess what i want to be able to do is try a couple, get an idea of what I like and don’t before spending some real money.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

I remember hiring a GT DHi in the alps, after only ever riding hardtails. Blew my mind!

No demo days left this year? I went to plenty of those although TBH they never had much DH stuff. Maybe try and hang out with some DHers, how about round cannock?

ianv
    Free Member

Just get one of these, amazing value for money. Wont be the best bike ever but dead easy to get on with.

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/19913/Kona_Stinky_Deelux_Bike_2009

snakebite
    Free Member

Lunge, where are you based?

I_Ache
    Free Member

It might be worth giving swinnertons at the chase a call they demo bikes and might be able to get in a DH bike for you.

http://www.bikechase.co.uk/

lunge

snakebite, I’m in the West Mids, Stourbridge to be exact.

peachos
    Free Member

how much do you have to spend?

lunge

peachos, not sure yet, it will be part funded by be and partly by my gf in light of a fairly significant birthday.

What do you have in mind?

peachos
    Free Member

nothing in particular, but probably the best way to get into DH would be to go DIY. Maybe pick up a decent brand new set of forks & brakes etc, but look for a 2nd hand frame that’s not been smashed up too much. generally speaking the frame will hold it’s value so if you find you don’t get on with it you can easily swap it for something else and you’ll have the rest of the build to swap over. just a thought. never seen any DH bikes for demo personally.

Brycey
    Free Member

I know it’s bit of a trek (no pun intended), but you can hire a Session 88 from Alpine in Inners. £80 for the day. A lot I know, but a full day on an uplift or push up will give you a genuine feel for it.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Demoing/FR downhill bikes – Where and how?’ is closed to new replies.