Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • demo'ed a bunch of 29'ers today
  • jameso

I’m always suprised by tests that look for time differences as a way to define ‘better’ ie ‘better = faster’. It’s too subjective. If we’re racers, fair enough, try to find faster bikes. But even then I think all it comes down to is one bike fitting a rider’s preferences, riding style, ergonomics, responding to that particular rider’s inputs etc more than another bike. It’s all about feel and feedback loops. If the bike suits you, you interact with it better and may go faster or smile more.

Wheel size, suspension or lack of etc has nothing to do with it all beyond what suits you. “Don’t think – Feel!”

mattjg
    Free Member

possibly on the 26 I was working a bit harder to go the same-ish speed

There’s the rub. I think 29ers are more efficient. Sometimes that translates to faster but sometimes it’s less effort, it depends on the terrain. But the more stop-starty the ride, especially very short blast acceleration, the more the advantage is eroded.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

gasp shock horror. yawn. bikes are bikes.

I rode about 12 / 13 mtb 26 and 29 demo bikes over a number of weeks and compared and contrasted.

The bikes were all roughly trying to do the same job, all mountain, to go up and down and guess what? they all did it very well.

The differences were subjective, i preferred the Scott Spark 26, it felt nimble but could be plush on 120mm setting yet locked out it felt almost rigid. Subconsiously I guess thats what i was looking for, something that could do everything I wanted.

Shut up and ride. 😉

johnny

As posted above i was at the Mountain Trax demo, at Crowthorne wood on Saturday, and i demoed a few 29ers. It’s pretty obvious but it ended up being a good illustration of just how off the mark generalisations about 29ers can be.

Since the summer of slop, I’ve been doing a load of singlespeeding on an old Fisher Rig 29er. I’ve stuck a carbon fork and light wheels on it, but it’s a very stereotypical 29er ride- bit of work on tight corners, doesn’t like to get off the ground, a bit long and “cruisy”.

On the demo day, i had reserved a Santa Cruz Highball, which didn’t turn up. Thankfully one of the MT guys lent me his. (Thanks Paul!) It was built up 29er rigid SS, and despite having a Niner bolt through RDO fork, (which was ACE) it was a very similar spec to my Fisher.

The difference was unrecognisable; short, taut back end, unweighting over bumps, great acceleration, hitting the descents with minimal braking, (Pete’s plunge) skidding the back end round in tight singletrack, (the corkscrew). It felt like a giant, fast BMX. I want.

Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘demo'ed a bunch of 29'ers today’ is closed to new replies.