Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Democracy
  • Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Maybe on their own, but there is a theory that as part of crowd they often show more wisdom than experts.

But in this case, it was as uniformed and idiotic as shareholders in a technology company voting to develop a perpetual motion device in direct violation of the second and third laws of thermodynamics.

FPTP
    The House of Lords
    PM and MP’s accountability
    Party funding
    Further transparency of the Civil Service, HMRC and Judiciary with regard to undue influence and what are deemed to be state secrets.

I think that it takes a special kind of lunatic to demand more direct representation, after the brexit referendum and all of its fallout.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

It does not mean that everyone has a say.

It does if they are 18 or over and can be bothered to register to vote and saunter down to their local polling station.

porter_jamie

Soulwood. Know your enemy. And rage against the machine

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

I think that it takes a special kind of lunatic to demand more direct representation, after the brexit referendum and all of its fallout.

@ Tom_W1987 – Why’s that then?

cbike
    Free Member

I’m touring the play “democracy” later this year in Scotland.

http://www.rapturetheatre.co.uk. You should all come.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Tom_W1987 – Why’s that then?

Because we live in a post-reason, group-think age?

Because I’d rather live under a permanent benign dictatorship of old etonians, than see some actual fascists in parliament reciting “Mein Kampf” in geordie accents?

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

@ Tom_W1987 – Hmmmm right suppose I did ask 🙄

iffoverload
    Free Member

Why is there such a rush to do this Brexit thing?

Everything suddenly changes in a few weeks, leave the EU and a new prime minister. Just like that!

Why is the perfectly reasonable idea of even reconsidering the decision in parliment rejected with shouts of “it is the the will of the people” etc..even though the country is pretty obviously evenly divided.

Why is a petition signed by millions is rejected and/or only passed for consideration in a manner that means it is pointless and powerless anyway?

Since when have referendums been a thing?
    And why can’t we have another one if they are so good?

Should we be asking ourselves who will profit from this?

Seems like a monumental joke is being played on the whole county.

molgrips
    Free Member

It does if they are 18 or over and can be bothered to register to vote and saunter down to their local polling station.

You’re confusing democracy with universal suffrage.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

You’re confusing democracy with universal suffrage.

😀

seosamh77
    Free Member

iffoverload – Member
    Why is there such a rush to do this Brexit thing?

Everything suddenly changes in a few weeks, leave the EU and a new prime minister. Just like that!

Why is the perfectly reasonable idea of even reconsidering the decision in parliment rejected with shouts of “it is the the will of the people” etc..even though the country is pretty obviously evenly divided.

Why is a petition signed by millions is rejected and/or only passed for consideration in a manner that means it is pointless and powerless anyway?

Since when have referendums been a thing?
    And why can’t we have another one if they are so good?

Should we be asking ourselves who will profit from this?

Seems like a monumental joke is being played on the whole county.cause it’s been a stitch up from the very beginning?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

No, don’t blame the stupidity of the unwashed masses on some evil etonian conspiracy and collusion between leave and remain – to actually secretly **** you.

Because that will lead to more Farrages, Galloways, *cough* Corbyns 😆 *cough^ to come out of the woodwork.

David Cameron was simply stupid and patriotic enough to believe that his countrymen had a higher IQ than they did in reality. It’s the lack of trust in authority and the continual rabid suspicion of conspiracy and corruption in all institutions that got us here in the first place.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Holding the ref during a major sporting event, that sees nationalist fervour flying high wasn’t planned? Straight out of alex salmonds playbook that yin.

yes I know slightly different, but england were always going to get pumped out in the 2nd round, so advantage needed to be taken before then! 😆

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

No, just short sighted on Camerons part – his cabinet and advisers probably only follow “ruggers”.

seosamh77
    Free Member

You’ll honestly never convince me otherwise. No euros, no brexit!

iffoverload
    Free Member

David Cameron was simply stupid and patriotic enough to believe that his countrymen had a higher IQ than they did in reality.

fair comment, but why the rush to crash on ahead at full speed without further consideration? especially considering the long term and unpredictable consequences of the decision.

that is just plain stupid.

It is like one of those salesmen that make you sign to take advantage of the “exclusive time limited special offer” before you change your mind, even though it is non of those things..(and even with those you get a cooling off period)

theotherjonv

I vote we do this on the other thread. Who’s with me?

I might have been, but simply saying that we’ll ‘do it’ on the other thread didn’t give me any indications what you were going to do or how. I can’t make an informed decision on that basis.

footflaps

David Cameron was simply stupid and patriotic enough to believe that his countrymen had a higher IQ than they did in reality.

It is quite incredibly to think that his arrogance has cost the UK it’s European membership. A ‘slam dunk’ vote supposed to unite the Tory Party has probably set our economy back years, from which it may never recover and cost him his job. He’ll always be known as the PM who accidentally lost Europe and broke up the Union (probably).

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Can comebody explain the democracy in this situation to me please:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MlT8fHOy8Y[/video]

Especially when the Royal veto comes into play…

The Queen also vetoed entirely a private member’s Bill, the Military Actions Against Iraq (Parliamentary Approval) Bill 1999, that would have transfered the power to authorise military strikes against Iraq from the monarch to Parliament

It is widely assumed that the royal prerogative, the authority to declare war, rests now with the prime minister rather than the Queen herself.

However, these documents raise questions about how much power the monarch still has over the elected government of the day.

nedrapier

From the first page: “300,000 conservative party members” More like half that.

Very interesting reading on Ochlocracy, Tom, cheers for that. Especially the examples at the end. Demands for sacrifice to appease an angry crowd. Pretty much exactly what’s happened here.

And if anyone’s not seen this before, it’s a very good summary of why this referendum was set up and framed so poorly:

https://medium.com/@kirstymhall/brexit-was-a-con-67532113a7c

CountZero

To start with our FPTP GE system isn’t really representative democracy. It is almost the opposite as the majority of people never get what they ask for.

When they do, you’ll more than likely end up like Italy, who’ve had 62 governments in 67 years.

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Democracy’ is closed to new replies.