• This topic has 14 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by mrmo.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Democracy
  • mike_p
    Free Member

So, democracy… Winston Churchill was a clever chap and he said:

"…democracy is the worst form of government, except all the others that have been tried"

and…

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter"

Both of which are undoubtedly true, for democracy assumes that the population at large is sufficiently intelligent, educated, well-informed and independently-minded to make a sensible choice (it also assumes, equally foolishly, that there is a sensible choice to be made).

But when the majority of the voting population is anything but and is simultaneously beholden to the present government for their very livelihoods, either through benefit dependency or pointless jobs in a bloated public sector which an alternative government would target for reduction, they are as unlikely to vote for change as a turkey would for Xmas/Thanksgiving/etc.

Consequently Labour are in with a good shout of being re-elected, in which case the plague of benefits claimants continues (33% of the eligible workforce last I heard), the public sector (now >50% of the workforce) remains catastrophically inefficient, and the ever decreasing private sector – where all the wealth is created that provides the tax revenue that pays for it all – gets squeezed until the pips squeek.

Surely even a fool can see that it can't go on?

grumm
    Free Member

Where are you getting those figures from? Pretty sure they are way off.

This was in 2005 – has it really increased that much? http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=1292

I agree about the flaws in democracy though. I was reading about a poll saying a large percentage of people think we should cut the deficit now rather than later, but how many of them actually understand the wider issues involved? I am reasonably well educated and read quite a lot of current affairs stuff etc – still don't really have a clue on that though.

mt
    Free Member

There will be those along soon that believe in the money tree and it's endless crop. What you seem to be saying is that turkeys never vote for christmas.

mike_p
    Free Member

In the Sunday Times the other weekend. Depends upon how you define public sector, I guess. I'd include anyone employed by pseudo-private compaines like train operating companies, privately-run housing associations, etc.

Winnie also said:

"Using taxation as a route to prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to lift oneself up by the handle"

What a legend!

BigDummy
    Free Member

This rotten system of allowing ignorant idiots to chart the nation's course should be abolished at once. I propose that the present parliamentary system be replaced by a Council of Wise Givernment with unfettered executive authority, supreme power and natty uniforms with plenty of medals. It should consist of Richard Littlejohn, Jeremy Clarkson and Alesha Dixon, together with a licensed London taxi driver chosen at random each month.

That should sort all this mess out pretty sharpish.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

either through benefit dependency or pointless jobs in a bloated public sector

Can we have some definitions of these please? Benefit dependency – what does that mean?

uplink
    Free Member

Labour are in with a shout of being returned because the Tories haven't got a better [or any] other plan
    so why vote for change?

BTW – I'm a fan of dictatorships, I think we should have one year communist followed by the next as facists

Talkemada
    Free Member

BigDummy; that's a good plan, but I'd add, if I may, Cheryl Kerl, Limpid Opik and an interchangeable small business owner from the West Midlands.

And perhaps various Hamiltons could pop in now and then (Neil and Christine, Lewis and his dad, Diddy David, etc).

Policies to be organised around a lottery system; people send their own ideas in, they get put into a gigantic spinning sphere, and picked out by an attractive TV weather girl, and the winner gets a 52" Plasma TV. And some Ugg boots.

Can't think why this plan hasn't been implemented yet.

kimbers

if it was in the sunday times im assuming it was all part of murdochs deal with cameron to win him the election so the torries will dismantle the bbc

when the most popular tv show each weak is dancing on ice, big brother or the x-factor (with about 10-20% of the population tuning in) there really is little hope for democracy in this country anyway, we are a nation of idiots

-all though if watching reality tv shows like that barred you from voting or indeed being a politician things may be different

How is democracy supposed to work when half the electorate are below average intelligence ?

Talkemada
    Free Member

How is democracy supposed to work when half the electorate are below average intelligence ?

I think that there is the perfect argument. Case Dismissed.

nickc

BTW – I'm a fan of dictatorships, I think we should have one year communist followed by the next as facists

I dunno, I don't look good in either Red or Brown….

nickc

btw if we're going to be quoting Churchill, Best get this one in as well, for balance, like…

"I do not understand this sqeamishness about the use of gas. I am strongly in favour of using poison gas against uncivilised tribes."

About Kurds…

ctznsmith
    Free Member

Democracy…

…is a myth.

Who holds most 'influence' over the ruling party the voter or the person funding the party?

mrmo
    Free Member

First people are sheep and do as they are told,
    second people are stupid and tend to act in their immediate interest
    third good politicians are good speakers.
    Fourth our system is not democratic in that the majority of the population are irrelevant to the outcome.
    fifth, he who shouts loudest or has the deepest pockets is the one who gets help.

Add this lot and you get what we have.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Democracy’ is closed to new replies.