Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Demo day etiquette
  • seadog101

Doing a demo day this weekend. Any obscure rules of etiquette that One needs to respect?

I know we’re not roadies, but don’t want to come across as an ill educated MTB dullard. Organiser has told me to bring my own pedals and ID etc.

wiggles
    Free Member

Don’t be a dick

theotherjonv

Have done a few in my time, from my experience of what’s annoyed me.

If it was like one I did in the Surrey Hills, where the LBS leads a ride with you (and others) on their trial bike (actually mine was organised by the LBS but the riding was ‘contracted out’ to another local training / guided rides company but it amounts to the same). As above, don’t be a dick, moaning at the choice of trails / at people that want to stop and adjust shock settings, etc. People are deciding whether to drop a large sum of money on a bike and want to know if it suits them. If you wanted to just show off/just wanted a free guided ride, don’t waste the shop’s time on it.

And if it’s the type where they have multiple demo bikes and people for a day, and you turn up, leave some ID and a CC deposit or something and then take a bike out for an hour. Don’t take it out for 90 minutes instead because you liked it so much. Someone else is waiting for it and now I only get 30 mins on it before my next appt with another one. If everyone does that it royally **** up the whole process. Dick.

andyl
    Free Member

don’t ride it like you stole it but also make sure you don’t hold back. You want to see how it behaves at your (sensible) limits to really see if it is the right bike for you.

If you like it try and strike a deal by trying to get the best spec you can there and then, don’t fanny about.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Always been fun IME

Best to tell them in advance which bikes you want to ride but be prepared to be flexible

In each case we have had standard loop of about 30/40 mins so you ride the same round on the different bikes and hopefully a good mix of terrain

Ride sensiblyand chat to others – oh and don’t tell the guys from whyte that you didn’t enjoy riding any of these bikes!

Thank the host inc the guys getting the bikes ready. It’s hard work

Where is it BTW?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Just has a quick google – is it next Sun in P with CW?

If so they do a very well organised day with good back up and grub in the past IIRC. Might join you

seadog101

It’s at Hamsterley with WetRockandride, going to try out a couple of Cotics. 😀

Significant number birthday coming up, might be a present to myself. Don’t want to spend a lot of dosh on a bike thats not quite right.

mark90
    Free Member

The Cotic demo rides are great. Sam is a top guy.

cuyahoga
    Free Member

You’ll have a good day with Sam running the show. If he’s got it in the van he’ll sort it for you – even if whatever you want to ride wasn’t what you thought you wanted when you booked.

Its a shame the weather was crap for us at Rivington last weekend though…

mrhoppy

Cotic will do private demo days if you can get 4 of you together too. So you could use this to check and then do a proper demo with Sam at a later date.

seadog101

Thank you all, dont want to rock up and having to have everything explainec to me…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Demo day etiquette’ is closed to new replies.