Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Demo bike question: Whyte / Scott
  • Trimix
    Free Member

I’ve just demo’d a Whyte G150 and its fitted with a Rockshock Monarch Plus RC3 Debonair. (the one with the piggy back) Its got three settings on it, a bit like the CTD Fox shock has.

I’ve also got a demo lined up for the Scot Genius, so I expect a similar question will arise from that shock.

The question is:

When I ran it in the softest (Decent) mode it felt very smooth and plush, but I found the compression so soft I couldn’t pop off anything or pump into anything on the way down. I cant alter the compression other than its 3 prescribed settings. So if I just put more air in, it will make the Trail setting too firm.

I can see this is probably fine for riders who just ride XC, or are not happy fiddling with their suspension, but if you like to hop, skip and pump your way down a hill I found it useless.

I ended up leaving it in the middle setting (Trail) and just rode around like that. Which was good, but I felt the shock was wasting its other two settings. It also seems a waste that you cant adjust it on the fly remote, like the CTD.

Is it possible to sort this out, or do you just live with it ?
    Any real life experiences ?

getonyourbike
    Free Member

More air, less air volume. I’ve got mine so that I’m always in open, except extended fire roads, when I flick it into the mid setting.

Trimix
    Free Member

I was running it at 230 psi (I weigh 90kg – 95 fully kitted)

With that much air does it not mess up the rebound ?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    getonyourbike
    Free Member

I’m at 184psi, with 7 volume bands inside for 73 Kg and for me it is very supportive in open mode.

Why would it affect the rebound? These shocks are designed to run at higher pressures than others due to the larger negative air chamber, so don’t worry about it.

Trimix
    Free Member

When I pumped up my old Fox RP23 to a high pressure (to stop it bottoming out) it ended up messing up the rebound. I’ve not got any experience with the Rockshock though.

Your quite a bit lighter than me 🙂 Anyone as fat as me had any issues ?

So with the volume reducers in it, does it then have more compression – if so it seems to negate the whole point of 3 modes.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

The volume spacers won’t increase the compression, but provide more support in the stroke, to give you a platform to push off. You can run less air, so more small bump sensitivity and also more support and bottom-out resistance.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Demo bike question: Whyte / Scott’ is closed to new replies.