Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Dell Streak?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Anyone own a dell streak? I am very tempted as I primarily browse web on my phone.

How do you find it?

Cougar

Own, no, but I have the screaming thigh-sweats for it. I've been looking for a modern replacement for the Psion 5 for about ten years now and I think that might just be it.

J0N
    Free Member

IMHO Get a normal sized phone and wait for something like the Samsung Tablet. Basically a big screened (7") Galaxy S.

toby1

Hmm, I love the idea of the Galaxy, but the screen on the ipad is so much bigger 🙂

loddrik
    Free Member

No, I am looking to get one as a phone not as a tablet…

Kato

I had a look in the o2 shop at one and it's massive for a phone. I couldn't lug that around all day

toby1

Hah, sorry, I'd not considered it as a phone as it really is bulky, full report on engadget if you want a review though.

glenh
    Free Member

Personally I can't really see the point: the screen is nowhere near as big as an ipad, and it's too big to carry as a phone all the time.

Might work for some people though I suppose.

mieszko
    Free Member

Mate from work has it. Rates it highly and has a great screen etc. Android is a very good OS but the battery life is shocking. If You play with it for the first couple of days use some options etc the battery won't last a full day.

My Motoroa Dext wasn't much better but once the novelty wears off You would probably get a standard full day out of a charge.

He changed to the Dell after the a 3g iPhone as is very happy with it however the phone is pretty big.

loddrik
    Free Member

I am not overly bothered about the size really, it is pretty slim and I always have a jacket of some sort on with pockets. Tbh the phone sounds ideal for me, a web device that also has phone funtionality as my phone is primarily for Internet. I have a 3GS at the minute but always want a bigger screen and I am on it all the time and and drain the battery at least twice a day. I find it infuriating that the iPhone doesn't have a removable battery as I'd always carry a spare.

I guess I've already made my mind up then….

Cougar

I've had this argument at length with geeky mates.

Bottom line is, I'm not a huge fan of convergence. Every time you merge funtionality, you compromise. You want a tiny phone that you can stick in your pocket, with a huge screen and keyboard for surfing the web and PDA functions. You also want an MP3 player, a camera, maybe a portable video player… Until we start using holographic projection screens, it's physically impossible.

The best multifunction devices in the world, by definition, aren't as good as standalone devices at these functions. The cameras are "ok", but my ten year old IXUS blows them all out of the water. The mp3 players are fine, but really you want hardware buttons to stop / start in your pocket. And now, anyone starting to notice that they're not even much cop as phones any more? I've had smartphones that take several seconds to answer when you try to pick up an incoming call, or go loopy when you try to use a touchscreen dialpad mid-call.

In the case of the Streak, what I'd want in an ideal world is a powerful PDA with the phone funtionality moved to a separate unit. Then I can go to the pub or a concert with my phone without having to lug about a large, very expensive, easy to break / steal device. For day to day usage the PDA side of things can sit in a jacket pocket, to be broken out when needed. Always-on sync using the phone as its Internet connection, because if I've got my PDA then I'll always have a phone. If the phone rings I can answer it without interrupting my spodding, and take notes from the call without having to go "hang on" and try to use some notepad on the phone without risking accidentally cutting them off in the process.

In short, I want a modern-day Psion 5 and the world's smallest phone. They could even be one dockable unit, just split off the phone bit as needed.

rs
    Free Member

cougar, you can still buy separate items, its ok…

CountZero

The mp3 players are fine, but really you want hardware buttons to stop / start in your pocket. And now, anyone starting to notice that they're not even much cop as phones any more?

My Ultimate Ears MetroFi 220vi's have a remote, answer calls/pause/ff/rew. What else do you want? Oh and the telephone works just dandy, even in a large steel walled building. The quality of the calls from the sender's dumb mobile leave a lot to be desired, mind. Land lines are fine, btw.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Dell Streak?’ is closed to new replies.