Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Dell _ Extended warranty – I think I've been had
  • foxyrider
    Free Member

Extended for 2 years for my 1.5 year old XPS 1330 Laptop.

My 8400GS graphics card has failed and aparently dell have extended Warranty on these motherboards d.t. dogy NViDIA chips.

2 choices were given. To extend warranty just in case its not the chipset (which I am sure it is) or incur a big repair bill if its not. They do make you feel worried with a big repair bill.

So stupidly I went for a 2 year warranty (6 months out of warranty) as only 1 year free included. What a plonker I am but at least I should get it fixed tomorrow 🙁 I know I have been taken for a ride for £120 of my hard earned cash. At least I got my money back 12 months ago when the HDD went!

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

😯

urm……..an old sock, or maybe a jiffy bag

foxyrider
    Free Member

This seems a bit odd. If you're tight (I am!) then why use CO2 in the first place? A pump is cheaper, and more reliable!

Coz I don't mind paying for something I can't make but am a tight wad to pay for a piece of rubber or plastic for a £1 and pay £4 postage for something I can make for free. Point made?

OK for you MW?

Rockplough
    Free Member

If there's an issue with the chipset I would have thought they would replace that free of charge first before trying to sell you a warranty.

br
    Free Member

I thought we'd already had the 'kitchen' discussion?

foxyrider
    Free Member

If there's an issue with the chipset I would have thought they would replace that free of charge first before trying to sell you a warranty.

They are on a hard sell for warranty extesions at the mo it seems – I guess the guy gets commisions on the tech supports for selling extended warranties – oh well at least I have got 2 more years of hardware support. Sounds like I'm going to need it with an HDD down and a GPU burnt out in 1.5 years of ownership!

wwaswas

I can't work out if you're pleased that they've offered you an extended warranty that something 18 months old that's already broken 3 times or pee'd off that you chose to accept it?

Drac
    foxyrider
    Free Member

Wwaswas – Hmm – well both – but I have probably been taken for a ride but at least I got 2 more years warranty if that makes sense. I am pleased it has been fixed but I could have probably got it for free if I persued it more 😯

Drac sorry its a soldered chip – I was saying its a card for simplicity so there needed a new mainboard :). I'll shut up now and get my coat 😉

dmiller
    Free Member

Huge post typed and then deleted as I cant say too much.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

dell's are rubbish,

since replacing every dell branded component in mine its been faultless 😀

foxyrider
    Free Member

They used to be good but I guess if they use cheaper components then….

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Dell _ Extended warranty – I think I've been had’ is closed to new replies.