Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Deliveroo to hospital ward
  • MSP

Do you think deliveroo or another such company will deliver to a hospital ward? And will I get in trouble with the nurses if I order myself some food in? Maybe I could get some shareable snacks to bribe them.

johndoh
    Free Member

I did it once many years ago when we had pizza delivered late one night before wisdom teeth removal the next morning (after a group of us all having the same op were all discussing what we’d miss most when unable to eat properly for weeks).

Gary_M
    Free Member

Probably quite a stupid and self absorbed thing to do. What if every patient ordered take away food whenever they want? Do you think hospital staff have time to direct food deliveries around the hospital.

Get a grip.

martinhutch

Why not? Pizza deliveries were all the rage when my wife was stuck in a maternity ward for a month.

Don’t stink the place out or otherwise be a dick would seem to be the right approach.

Probably quite a stupid and self absorbed thing to do. What if every patient ordered take away food whenever they want? Do you think hospital staff have time to direct food deliveries around the hospital.

I suppose if you specified which ward you wanted it to come to, they might just follow the hospital signage. Just getting them to ask for Dave would be a bit mean.

qwerty
    Free Member

Yea, you’ll be fine.

wwaswas

Have you considered asking the people running the ward?

jolmes
    Free Member

I’d ask the ward manager first. The only clause we were given was that we got a GBK and she could have some sweet potato fries. Happily obliged 🙂

legend
    Free Member

wwaswas – Member

Good point, they might want something ordered too

MSP

I think the tory government would be delighted about the encroachment of free enterprise service provision into NHS catering.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I personally wouldn’t, maybe if they turn up during visiting hours, but otherwise it’s a working ward, something it happening all of the time, they won’t want random foodies walking the wards and they really don’t want to play waiter for you.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure the staff will have no issues with food delivery (but do ask them), it’s common in wards particularly in the evening when things are a bit quieter. Staff have to eat too!

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

What if every patient ordered take away food whenever they want?

Patients feeding themselves would save the NHS a small fortune?

thomthumb
    Free Member

Ask the nurses.

& definately get them some in; assuming they say it’s ok – they work too hard and don’t get paid enough.

jonnyboi

I’m sure there’ll be nurses just standing around waiting to direct the deliveroo guy to your bed/room.

ETA: don’t forget to get some beers in whilst you’re at it.

tjagain

AS a nurse ( in long stay but very very busy wards) we do this all the time. We even order it for patients

Ask the staff first, make sure the delivery chap knows exactly where to deliver it to, collect it from the hospital doors if you can get there rather than get the deliverer to take it to the ward.

We even order in food for ourselves sometimes. Try to make it at a not busy time IE after the patients meals have been served and after the teatime drug round

German hospital my brother in law was in for prostate surgery actually gave you a beer with your meals. Unless yo are in for a long time tho I wouldn’t bother with beers 🙂

Many years ago I worked on a mens orthapedic ward. Lots of young men who were in for months. Sat night I felt more like waiter as most of them were on traction so I would be dishing the beer and the chips out and even making sure they had a light for their fags and the ashtrays were empty! ( before the smoking ban) I even caught a chap with a joint once – I did think that was going a bit far

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Have yo never brought food in for folks who have been in hospital for a long time. Folks who fancy a bit of home cooking?

cokie

I was at a clinic recently and when I was getting fresh air, I saw a few different delivery companies turning up. Standard procedure seemed to be a family member waiting in reception/outside for it.

tinybits
    Free Member

Yep, as we checked into the maternity ward with 1 & 2 (7 days with 1, 2 days with 2) we were told this was fine but we would need to go outside to get it (no deliveries directly to bedside). We were asked if we wouldn’t mind eating in the day room though as some other mums might not like the smell. Seemed entirely reasonable.

So Gary_M, based on many hospitals being fine with it (and TJ being a drug dealer!) righteous indignation needs to be dialed back a notch!

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I’m sure there’ll be nurses just standing around waiting to direct the deliveroo guy to your bed/room.

You know many modern hospitals are not staffed exclusively by nurses? And that some of those non-nursing types are there to give directions?

maycontainnuts

Currently “enjoying” day 51 in hospital. As said above, deliveroo, Amazon, domino’s all good here.

PrinceJohn
    Free Member

Given that last time I was in hospital every time I smelt the food coming, a smell I can only describe as a vile school dinner aroma, so bad I vomited I wish Deliveroo existed.

tjagain

Tiny – I didn’t supply him with his spliff – I caught him smoking it 😉

Ca you imagine tho when the rave generation end up in care homes? the drug rounds will be fun!

“right Mr Smith – one or two eccys for you this afternoon?” “Ms Jones – want a downer with your coke?”

footflaps

Tiny – I didn’t supply him with his spliff – I caught him smoking it

The Consultant I assume?

somafunk

When in hospital (few months in western general Edinburgh & mussleburgh spinal unit) i used to order food in all the time, never an issue with anyone but i always used to ask all in the ward if they wanted anything as well. Spliff you say? – that was our well deserved reward for a day spent pushing ourselves to total exhaustion/tears during physio, it was actually recommended to control the muscle spasms and pain relief – also helps bladder control – next year medicinal cannabis laws will be passed.

As for other so called drugs – expect to see Psilocybin, MDMA and other psychedelic treatments being made available for use within the next 5 years

tjagain

Doubt it Somafunk. Hopefully we will get some sensible drug laws one day but I can’t see it coming

somafunk

Oh it’s coming, in true Stw fashion I know things 😉

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Deliveroo to hospital ward’ is closed to new replies.