Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Deliberately incendiary computer argument
  • Cougar

The ZX Spectrum was much better than the Commodore 64, and anyone who disagrees smells of wee.

druidh
    Free Member

I piss on your cheap tat. (BBC B with 6502 2nd Processor)

dh
    Free Member

Druidh – you can keep your FRAK! and Elite – I’ll take JSW and knightlore anyday…

chewkw
    Free Member

Commodore 64 wins coz that’s the only one (think that’s another brand called Wang …) I had at school for playing PacMan but an eight year old Ukrainian boy beat me in that game.

donsimon
    Free Member

I’m clearly too young to know what the old folks are talking about, and I’d imagine at your ages you all smell of wee anyway.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Jetpac and Lunar Jetman

Case closed

kevj
    Free Member

Frak on 5.5 inch floppy. FT(1988)W

racefaceec90

zx better than c64.OUTSIDE!(in a pseudo cockney accent) [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExftoivJ_EU[/video] 😀

druidh
    Free Member

kevj – Member
    Frak on 5.5 inch floppy. FT(1988)W

That would be a bit of a squeeze as the drives were 5.25″

juan
    Free Member

tsss you needed an atari 520F

druidh
    Free Member
    sc-xc

C64 with Vic 1541 disk drive.

Spectrum was generally for poor people, and the few unfortunates in our area (not many as we lived in an affluent suburb) used to come round to mine to play games in colour.

Looking back, there is a direct correlation between computer owned/status now. Spectrum owners I’m afraid tend to be locked in the cycle if benefit dependancy, with feral children – flagbearers for Broken Britain.

TooTall
    Free Member

She was a beauty, eh?

Sabre Wulf, Atic Atac and Manic Miner / JSW FTW.

br
    Free Member

I up your C64 (had one after a ZX81) with an IBM 3081, the next ‘real’ computer I ‘played’ on.

midlifecrashes

IF NOT “ATARI400”
    THEN “TRS80Colour”
    ELSE “ORIC”

but yes, C64 classier than Speccy, but more fun on the speccy. I used to sell them back in the early eighties. Sadly my ZX80 and 81 got nicked, but I still have the ATARI 400 and a bunch of cartridges.

aP
    Free Member

Surely the VIC20 was the direct competitor to the ZX Spectrum?

winston_dog
    Free Member

Elite on the BBC.
    Pure genius, 8 galaxies, hundreds of planets and 3d graphics in 32k!
    Today’s programmers couldn’t get near it.

DavidB
    Free Member

Did the C64 have Ant Attack before the Spectrum?

I think not therefore immediate fail.

druidh
    Free Member

b r – Member
    I up your C64 (had one after a ZX81) with an IBM 3081, the next ‘real’ computer I ‘played’ on.

3081? Noob!!!

When, after an upgrade or two, we had some 370-158s, one of the IBM CEs arrived with this floppy disk (8″ as it happens). He opened the door under the console and inserted this into the microcode reader (floppy disk drive) and booted the machine from it. We now had one of our 3 mainframes playing a really, really crap version of Pong. And when I say one of the machine was playing it, I really do mean that. It needed the whole system!

juan
    Free Member

ha ha but you guy didn’t have a T-O8 a pure beauty from franc finest 😀

druidh
    Free Member

winston_dog – Member
    Elite on the BBC.
    Pure genius, 8 galaxies, hundreds of planets and 3d graphics in 3[b]22k!
    Today’s programmers couldn’t get near it.

Garry_Lager

You can’t compare a legendary machine such as the zx spectrum with a minor footnote in computing history like the C64. Please.

There’s an interview online somewhere with one of the old ultimate programmers who says they had knightlore ready before some other games (sabre wulf if I recall), but had to hold it back as they knew it would flatten every other release around that time. A revolutionary game.

Here is the your sinclair top 100 of spectrum games as a reminder of what quality was being laid at our feet in those days (#1 is a travesty but still). I tried to find a C64 list but no one could be arsed putting one together.

sc-xc

Garry. You are wrong.

midlifecrashes

Me and my mate knocked up a 1K Defender for the ZX81 without RAM pack, written in Basic because that’s all we (almost)knew. Sold enough mail order from a classified in Your Computer to buy the next machine, then official looking threats from Atari came in the post so it was knocked on the head.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Looooosers!

DEC alpha FTW!,
    If not then PDP-11

All else are pale imitations

winston_dog
    Free Member

druidh – fair point – there wasn’t much RAM left after the graphics had their share.
    Shows even more skill from the programmers.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Surely the VIC20 was the direct competitor to the ZX Spectrum?

This. And while the spectrums rubber keys with whole words on were nothing to be proud of it had the best games. Sold mine to get an ER50 & girls 😀

MrsToast
    Free Member

I had both a Speccy and C64. They were both ace, so there!

racefaceec90

to all those who think the zx is better than the c64

Cougar

Did the C64 have Ant Attack before the Spectrum?

Unlikely.

Did the C64 have Ant Attack?

bellerophon
    Free Member

Love these threads, reminds of reading ‘Mastering machine code on your ZX81’ by Toni Baker…

seosamh77
    Free Member

I had the 128k+2, getting the screw driver out adjusting the head a quarter turn and hold down the play button to get copied games from the barras to work!

Older brother had C16 before that mind, but I only really remember donkey kong. Special shout goes out to my mates amstrad CPC464 green screen. 2 player Silk worm on that wasted months of my childhood!

bellerophon
    Free Member

DEC alpha FTW!,
    If not then PDP-11

Charlie, thanks for taking me back there; my first job was with DEC

RoterStern
    Free Member

Atari ST because of Cubase. If you went into any recording studio in the 80s and 90s you would always see one taking pride of place.

Torminalis
    Free Member

Dragon 32 FTW.

MrKmkII
    Free Member

Spectrum was generally for poor people

maybe in your posho area! spectrum was for the rich kids here – they got the spectrums, then us pooros got a c64, then the richos got a c64 and ended up with two computers… 😉

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

DEC alpha FTW!,
    If not then PDP-11
    Charlie, thanks for taking me back there; my first job was with DEC

POSTED 26 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

My first machine was the PDP. Eeeee!

Waderider
    Free Member

Got Fuse on my desktop, and Marvin on Android here. I’ve no beef with this thread.

I play speccy games on the train when 3G is working like 3G does 🙂

dawson

still got a Spectrum 48k+ somewhere!

stevomcd
    Free Member

I had this weird Speccy that my Dad picked-up when his school were binning them. It’s the classic 48k speccy but in a Datel Electronics case with a proper keyboard and everything.

God I was cool. 😈

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Deliberately incendiary computer argument’ is closed to new replies.