Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • deleting iPhone apps
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I have worked out how to download them
    I have worked out how to update them

How do I delete them?

Why can't Apple make interfaces I understand and phones with batteries that last all day?

CaptJon
    Free Member

press and hold until wobbly, press the x

wwaswas

that all sounds jolly complicated CaptJon – could they not have acheived something simpler?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Of course – the old 'press and hold until wobbly interface' how intuitive.

Cheers

Teetosugars
    Free Member

They do make batteies that last all day…

you just need to close the apps that are running in the background…
    Double click the home button, and the screen will lift, it will then show along the bottom all the open Icons…

Hold one of them till it wobbles, then close it..

Repeat to fade…

You probabaly have loads open, that are running in the background, even though you arent using them..

Think of them like tabs on IE..

snowslave

thanks teetosugars. That I never knew!

sslowpace
    Free Member

cheers also, teeto. v handy

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

There's an ap for that…

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

if you 'double tap' you can also access ipod controls when its on hold.

MrNutt
    Free Member

teetosugars I think thats just recently used items, not running apps

Drac

Bit of both MrNutt some will be running in the background others there for fast launch.

allthegear
    Free Member

Yes, the double home button tap is the equivalient of ALT+TAB on Windows. The apps, though, are not quite as "active" in the background as a normal multi-tasking OS would allow them to be – they are only allowed to do certain things to reduce the amount of battery they can consume.

If an app is in the background but not monitoring its position by GPS (like TomTom) or streaming content from the Internet (like TuneIn Radio) then they're not really consuming battery power in any kind of noticeable way.

(I'm kinda learning the dev kit at the moment…)

Rachel

Teetosugars
    Free Member

MrNutt – Member
    teetosugars I think thats just recently used items, not running apps

No,apps are always running unless you shut them down..

allthegear
    Free Member

Oh – and if you do leave TomTom running in the background whilst walking into the office you are visiting, it's pretty freaky when your handbag tells you to "turn around when possible"…

If only I had listened…

Rachel

Drac

Uh uh!

enfht
    Free Member

What you need is iDelete

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

What you need is iDelete

What I need is Nokia

ourkidsam
    Free Member

Ooh, ooh, can I be smug about my choice of phone? Yeah?

What you need is HTC – Advanced Task Killer and they're gone

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Right, that double click thing revealed I was running every app I have every looked at. Could explain the short battery life.

How do I close an app down properly? All I do at the moment is hit the home button.

joemarshall
    Free Member

No they aren't, at least not most of them. Not in any meaningful, battery using way. On an iOS older than 4, not at all. On iOS 4, some apps can run in the background in a very limited way (mainly GPS trackers, things that play music etc.) which can use battery, but it will be obvious if they're running (your satnav is going, or you can hear music).

As a developer, it is slightly annoying, and limits what applications can do quite a lot, but you can see why they do it – they don't want people to have to worry about manually closing applications ever, they're aiming at a demographic who don't want to have to think about multiple apps running at once.

Joe

grievoustim
    Free Member

imo – if its not using the GPS, its not really going to run down the battery.

If the little arrow is showing in the top right of the screen – that means an app is running GPS stuff right now. Best close it down if you are not using it (this will be things like sat nav, or cyclemeter)

Other apps are not really doing anything – so will not drain your battery

BTW – you can also use the wibbly icons thing to rearrange the icons on your screen

CountZero

Ooh, ooh, can I be smug about my choice of phone? Yeah?
    What you need is HTC – Advanced Task Killer and they're gone

Why on earth would you need a specific application to do what double tapping on an app does perfectly well? Jeez, Apple make a perfectly usable, simple OS interface and some muppet has to overcomplicate it. Comes of using cruddy Windows OS I guess.

GrahamS

+1 for allthegear and joemarshall

Apple's whole excuse for taking so long over implementing multitasking was that they wanted a version that didn't kill the battery.

What they came up with (and got stick for) was essentially a way to swap out apps to a save state while supporting some very limited true multi-tasking for specific jobs (e.g. streaming music or GPS navigation while doing something else).

And yes WCA it is pretty obvious. The "wobbly thing" is also how you organise your apps and put them in folders. If it was really too much if a struggle then you can also delete and re-organise them using iTunes.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘deleting iPhone apps’ is closed to new replies.