Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Deleting a Facebook account
  • RAGGATIP
    Free Member

Has anyone here deleted their Facebook account and never reopened another one? Can you tell me how it felt and how many friends you had one there. What made you delete it? In retrospect do you wish you hadn’t? I’m pondering the idea but to me it feels like throwing out an item that I don’t use but think that perhaps one day it could come in useful.

Thanks for your help

Damn just realised this should be in the chat forum but can’t move it…sorry

TheBrick
    Free Member

I’ve removed all pictures removed just about everything from my profile and locked it down as much as possible. I only used it a dozen time or less but keep it going as it’s a reserve way of contacting some people.

2wheels1guy
    Free Member

I first deleted all info & photos for a while before deleting.
    For me mixing friends, family & work people was not attractive to me.
    Why do I want to be “friends” with people at work? I see them for 37.5 hours a week, probably more than my wife FFS.
    And “friends” with my family!! I manage to speak to them regulary.
    And the rest of my real friends I give a shit about I talk to/meet up with anyway.
    It was becoming a collection if people I hadn’t seen in years, usually for good reason!
    One of my friends “chats” to his wife via status update on FB while in the same room!
    No, I’m done with it, don’t regret it for a moment.
    If someone is important to you, you will make the effort.
    Otherwise it’s cyber-egotism by collecting “friends” like it’s some competition.

deserter
    Free Member

I got rid as it was all people I used to know talking utter s#*te, as said all the important people I speak to anyway and for pics I let them look at my flickr

timbur
    Free Member

I just deleted mine a few years back. Got bored with it and wasn’t really into the whole networking site thing.

Felt liberating to be honest. No desire to go back on there.

It didn’t help that an X from school days had looked me up and tried to become a friend after moving to the area I live.

Use the phone and talk to people. Much nicer!

Tim

fontmoss
    Free Member

i zone in and out of it, when im stuck inside revising I end up on there far more often. The annoying updates are offset by being in easy contact with mates in far flung places and it’s an easy way to get a group organised for parties/meeting up etc

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Actually did you know that they’re not making the SL1200 any more? End of an era… 🙁

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXCN1DhHTZA[/video]

metalheart
    Free Member

I ‘deleted’ my facebook account several times.

Except as far as I’m aware you can’t actually delete it, just ‘close’ it. You can reactivate it simply by signing back in. You disappear from others friends lists.

If you want to though the thing to do is delete all personal info and close it down. Also delete all your friends? that presumably would mean if you did feel the urge to restart it wouldn’t have any info/updates…

FB isn’t the most vital thing in the world but as I have friends that live in different countries (and continents) its quite nice to see what/how they are doing. Also allows banter as well…

downshep

I’ve only just opened a social networking account but I am already considering closing it. My info is locked down as much as the site allows but two friends have just posted stuff which inadvertently reveals what I do for a living, where I live, my children’s faces and my wife’s car. I don’t know who can see this stuff but I ain’t comfortable with not having control over such personal info.

PS Is it natural to look up every girl you have ever ‘known’?

Junkyard
    Free Member

only to see what age their children are 😯

mooman
    Free Member

only to see what age their children are

very good sir 😆

GrahamS

two friends have just posted stuff which inadvertently reveals what I do for a living, where I live, my children’s faces and my wife’s car.

Good God! You mean that highly classified information that everyone on your street already knows and anyone walking by your house would soon be privy to? 🙄

Personally I just take the basic precaution of setting my Privacy to “Friends Only” and encouraging my mates to do likewise.

redthunder
    Free Member

Deleted my personal account. FELT GREAT 🙂

Sadly… had to create a new one for Business… but not my name thank gawd.

ski
    Free Member

Deleted mine last week

Only opened the a/c to see if I could stalk trace a long lost school mate, wish I had not bothered, was not long before the worms started to flood in from the open can!

Email is now the way for me to keep in contact, gonig to keep it at that for the time being…

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

I started up, just as everyone else was .. a few years ago, then realised all my ‘friends’ were the people that had ignored me in the past, or we’d never spoken out of mutual disrespect, then you found all these ‘auto-invites’ coming your way, just because we worked, studied in the same place at the same time, a bit like friends-reunited also.

My real life friends can be counted on one hand, and they don’t use facebook either.

To dangerous a mix of friends, family and work

GrahamS

My real life friends can be counted on one hand, and they don’t use facebook either.

Mine too, except mine all use Facebook and I hardly get to see any of them in the flesh as they all have babies or live at a distance. So Facebook is perfect for me.

It’s all about how you use it really.

CountZero

Odd the different takes on Fb. I have no business contacts and never would, I have hardly any personal info, just an email addy. I use it to keep in touch with people who mostly aren’t close at hand, to post up pics for them to see, and, increasingly, to keep up to date with what various bands and artists are up to. One, who uses the name Kata Gao, used to record as Nut, and it’s really nice to be able to communicate directly with her, and a couple of weeks ago she posted five new tracks via Soundcloud, that I could easily listen to on my phone, and pass comments back, which she really appreciated. Myspace isn’t as good for that, and uses Flash anyway for the streaming audio. I don’t obsessively spend hours on there, just a quick scan every now and then. Just a useful utility, for me.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

I’ve never used it, and quite frankly, after being dragged to see the film about Facebook by my girlfriend, and after hearing all the ‘friend’ induced rubbish people put up with, I’m glad I don’t use it. Maybe I’m just a recluse. Bah.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

PS Is it natural to look up every girl you have ever ‘known’?

See how fayt they’ve got, whether they’ve settled down or not, how rich and successful they’ve become without you… 😥

Funny to see just how boring most of my mates from Uni have become. Proof that most folk need drugs to be anywhere near interesting…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Deleting a Facebook account’ is closed to new replies.