Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Dehydrator acquisition – give me your tips and recipes
  • benp1

I picked one up last night, not had one before.

Before I go crazy making jerky and dried fruit, does anyone have any particularly good tips or recipes they’d like to share?

scaredypants

how big ?

might mummification be an option ?

benp1

Not really, I don’t have enough bandages anyway (plus those damned sarcophaguses (sarcophagi?) take up so much room!)

5 tier dehydrator, 33cm diameter. Temp control but no timer (though I can easily remedy that with a timed switch)

monde
    Free Member

Use this way to make your first batch of biltong. Cant go wrong with it and just adjust drying times to taste. Add cayenne or paprika to the spice mix if you want something with a bit of heat.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1y7FcBLnuc&t=212s[/video]

benp1

I’ve got some bananas chopped up ready for dehydrating tonight as my first test

eskay

Here is my very simple jerky recipe:

A beef roasting joint (not sure of weight, usually about £6 from Aldi)

Slice the beef very thinly and add one bottle of soy sauce, one bottle of Worcestershire sauce and chilli flakes (to taste).

Marinate overnight.

Lay the beef strips out on kitchen paper and dab dry before loading up the dehydrator.

Set the dehydrator to 70 Deg C

Cure the beef until it just breaks when you bend it.

I have no idea how you are meant to store it long term because one batch barely lasts 2 days in our house!

Some food safety sites will tell you to prepare the meat at a certain temperature before curing, I have never done this and have never had any problems. 🙄

benp1

eskay, how long does it take to dehydrate it?

My banana ‘chips’ and orange discs took ages, like 20 hours, I think I had the temp way too low

eskay

Around 6 to 7 hours in my dehydrator.

I swap the trays around about halfway through because the lower trays dry quicker.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Dehydrator acquisition – give me your tips and recipes’ is closed to new replies.