Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Dehumidifiers: Tell me about them.
  • plastic_scotsman
    Free Member

Thinking about getting a dehumidifier for the House to sort out the condensation and Black Mold we get.

What do I need to know and can anyone recommend any particular models or makes?

Plastic

trail_rat
    Free Member

Dehumidifiers just hide the issue

Our old rented flat was really damp – woman had blocked up all the vents to hide the noise from the busy road outside

A dehumidifier should not be needed if all is well with your house – yours sounds sick !

highclimber
    Free Member

i’d be looking at the source of the condensation rather than masking it with a dehumidifier as this doesn’t solve the problem.
    Do you dry your clothes indoors, is there enough ventilation? is there a damp problem from a loose slate etc. it’s will be cheaper in the long run to solve the problem than have a power hungry appliance running!

Bunnyhop

We use ours a lot. Mainly as I don’t have a dryer so with all the sports we do, there’s always damp washing hanging around the house until the weather is warm enough to hang it outside.

OUrs was just a cheap one from argos and does the job nicely. Don’t forget to clean the filter.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I can’t dry clothes outside or fit a tumble dryer. So I use one to help dry my airing clothes; it sucks the moisture out of the air and generates a little heat too. I’m sure it also helps avoid the gradual build up of damp, but mainly it cuts drying-time right down. Considering how little heat it generates, I doubt it uses much leccy, although I have no figures to prove it.

matt_outandabout

It does not solve the issues causing damp, but does help a lot.

We have one, it works well. Move it around rooms that are worst affected.

They cost a lot to run.

sam_underhill

Ebac 2650 here , bought from ebacdirect.
    We just run it in the room when drying clothes inside. I think they cost about 50p per day to run.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Ruby dry desiccant dryer here. Also has the added benefit of warming the room and not needing the room to be warm for it to work effectively.

Cost slightly more than refrigerant ones to run though.

andyl
    Free Member

Ebac 6000 series – not cheap but very good and good customer service and warranty.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Dehumidifiers: Tell me about them.’ is closed to new replies.