Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Dehumidifiers
  • zippykona

Since we have had our new double glazing fitted we are getting a lot of condensation on our upstairs windows.
    Is a dehumidifier the way to sort this out or does anyone else have a cunning plan?
    If we need a unit can anyone recommend one for a 3 bed house?

TooTall
    Free Member

Do you not have ‘sniffer vents’ built in to the window frame? You need to use these to ensure enough air flow to prevent condensation.

Look at the causes of condensation before you buy something electrical to deal with the symptom as well – usually better return on your money. Are you drying lots of clothes on radiators? Are you ventilating the whole house well enough? Are you cooking without extracting steam?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

😕 I can’t figure that out, you should have less condensation with double glazing than with single glazing, due to the fact that internally the glass should now be warmer.

Decent windows should have trickle vents at the top – make sure they’re open.

And yes, dehumidifiers do what they say on the box.

EDIT : Maybe your old windows were very draughty and for that reason condensation never had a chance to form ?

Harry_the_Spider

We need one too. We’ve got an old house with few windows and cold spots on a couple of walls that get damp.

Stoner
    Free Member

Ive got one that’s surplus to requirements if anyone’s interested.

Wont post it, but if anyone fancies picking it up from Malvern way Im sure a deal can be done.

same as this one
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dehumidifier-Amcor-TC120-/260856311516#ht_500wt_949

Harry_the_Spider

What sort? Too far away to pick up but I’d be interested in knowing what you had.

Stoner
    Free Member

edited ^

used it when we lived in a damp house on the malvern hills.

Worked well, really noticeably dried out a cellar room – especially when you pour away 5-10 litres of water a day. No need for it now. Just sitting in garage.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Open the windows a bit more, better for you and the house.

rossrobot
    Free Member

We got one of these when we lived in a basement flat and still have it now in a three bed house as it’s great for drying out clothes. Super solid and simple to use.

captaindanger

Dehum should be a last resort, as someone said above, the new windows must be better sealed than your old ones. You can use a towel to dry them off every now and again, but if trickle vents haven’t been fitted, check part F of the building regulations (you can download them) because I’m 90% sure it is in the regs that trickle vents should be fitted to ALL replacement windows, you should be able to demand that the installers come back and fit them.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I dry our washing in the house as we have nowhere else. So I park the dehumidifier next to it. It ~halves the drying time.

donsimon
    Free Member

I dry our washing in the house as we have nowhere else. So I park the dehumidifier next to it. It ~halves the drying time.

Wouldn’t a tumble drier be cheaper to run?

grievoustim
    Free Member

no, tumble dryers cost a fortune to run – domestic dehumidifiers are relatively cheap to run

donsimon
    Free Member

Natural drying is cheaper still. 😛

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“Wouldn’t a tumble drier be cheaper to run?”

Fair point, but there isn’t anywhere to put one. The dehum is fairly innocuous.

project
    Free Member

When you hose the bike a dehunmidifier dries the water out of the bearings .

They also work well at drying the air,but leave the windows closed

monkeychild
    Free Member

We have this too. I keep bleating onto the mrs to make sure she opens the windows during the day. When she doesn’t we end up with rain on the inside.

andyl
    Free Member

Had an ebac 6000 series in my basement flat in Bristol when we had serious damp problems. Kept it at bay and made the flat much warmer too.

Just don’t leave it on in your bedroom over night!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Dehumidifiers’ is closed to new replies.