Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Dehumidifiers
  • Zedsdead
    Free Member

Due to the wet weather, 3 kids and lots of washing etc we were having problems with moisture in our house. I suspect the fact that everything is double glazed and reasonably well insulated doesn't help as there's not much airflow in the house…

Anyhow, we have bought a dehumidifier and I was wondering on how best to use it? Does anyone here use one?

Is it best to move it from room to room?
    Is it better to put it say in the hall and leave doors the internal doors open?
    How often do you use yours? Every day? All day? For a few hours?
    Any tips to get the best out of it?

Cheers

Zedsdead
    Free Member

anyone?

uplink
    Free Member

We have one in the hall & one on the landing & they seem to do a good job of keeping the condensation at bay

I think they're rated at 28l/day – for a 4 bed Victorian semi

meeeee
    Free Member

when i lived in a damp house i bought one. I also had a digital thermometer (they are pretty cheap) thing which told me humidity so i used that to gauge how well it was working.

They work best when the rooms are warm (ie heating on)as they can cool and condense the water vapour from the air better, but will still work if eating is off. I just turned the dial on mine to max for a few days until the dampness seemed to have dropped to a reasonable amount (was around 60% RH on my thermometer thing) then i just turned the dial on the dehuimidifier until it clicked off and left it like that. Didnt always have it plugged in, but if i was doing some washing that needed drying in the house, or if i noticed my thermometer humidity thing getting high i'd bung it on.

I got loads of water out in the first few days then it seemed to stabilise. Made a lot of difference in my house. I just left it on the landing unless i had washing to dry then i bunged it in the room i was drying the clothes in. Obvioulsy if you have one room thats a real damp problem might be better putting it closer to that room.

No idea if what i did was the correct way to use them but it worked for me!

HTH

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Thanks people. Much appreciatted.

AlasdairMc

I leave mine on all the time set to a certain level, and it draws out about 4l daily. It's in the spare bedroom ( it gets damp and we dry clothes in there).

jon1973
    Free Member

I've thought about getting one of these myself. How much power do they use?

TenMen
    Free Member

And where did you get it from?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Wouldn't it be easier to buy a tumble dryer?

Zedsdead
    Free Member

We bought it a delonghi dem10. It's working very well and have a good energy rating. I'm not sure on exact cost yet. Way way way cheaper then a tumble drier though…

Bought it from ebay for £100

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Dehumidifiers’ is closed to new replies.