Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Degreaser?
  • dandax1990
    Free Member

What do you guys use for your chain etc? I recently bought some citrus decreaser from CRC but I’ve almost ran out now due to servicing a few work colleagues bikes.

Would something like this be ok?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=170994152321

thatscold
    Free Member

White spirit.

edward2000
    Free Member

Fenwicks chain cleaner is excellent IMO and is so easy to use

bigbloke
    Free Member

I use Rock n Roll Extreme lube so rarely need to degrease my chain. However when I do I use Finishline Degreaser Spray , which can also be used on brake discs to clean them.

LardLover
    Free Member

Save your cash and buy some parafin. It’s the dogs bollocks and cheap as chips (think I paid £5 for 5 litres)

Liftman

Jizer

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Finish Line citrus. Smells lovely!

valleydaddy
    Free Member

+1 Jizer I used to sell it, it rocks

jonnyrockymountain

Tub of diesel!

Scapegoat

Why degrease a chain? Use dry lube and wipe clean before relubing. If I do need a degreaser I use Gunk Green, which is also great diluted 5 : 1 in a pump spray bottle as a general grime cleaner. Much better and cheaper than Muc-Off.

dandax1990
    Free Member

Bike ‘specific’ degreasers are expensive compared to non-bike specific stuff though?

dandax1990
    Free Member

I’m not wanting the decreaser for my own chain but for when I sort out work colleague and friends bikes.

Even though I’ve told them what to use on their chains, the lads at work take advice from our maintenance guys and start putting horrible grease on the chain. Couple of weeks later and said chain is almost solid with grease and grit. They know how to ride but are clueless with maintenance.

Wet lube is the best option for me to use on their chains, Doesn’t need reapplying as often as dry.

DoctorRad
    Free Member

White spirit is a petroleum distillate and should not be disposed of down drains. Take it to the tip and put it with the used oil if you must use it, I think it’s horrible stuff.

I use janitorial citrus degreaser concentrate, about £15 for 5 litres, and can be diluted up to 100 times for general cleaning purposes.

I soak chains in it after every winter ride, then rinse with hot water until the water runs clear. WD-40 or air dry then relube.

If you don’t clean your chain properly, the micro-grit it picks up as you ride stays in the crevices and acts as lapping compound, wearing your chain faster.

gee
    Free Member

Scrub with Gunk and a toothbrush, wash off, GT85.

GB

trail_rat
    Free Member

Diesel.

Same jar gets reused none goes down drain

Cleaning your chain that much after every ride can be doing more harm than good stripping out all the roller lube inside- often just needs. A wipe, baby wipes are good for cleaning thr exterior to a shine.

toppers3933
    Free Member

i buy large bottles of brake and clutch cleaner from the local auto factors. cheap as chips and does an ace job. thoroughly re-lube leave for a bit and then wipe off the excess. job jobbed.

dandax1990
    Free Member

When it comes to the stage of needing a really good clean I always leave it overnight with the lube applied to each pin so it can soak in anyway.

dandax1990
    Free Member

When it comes to the stage of needing a really good clean I always leave it overnight with the lube applied to each pin so it can soak in anyway.

mattbibbings
    Free Member
    andrewh
    Free Member

Put chain in a jar of petrol and shake vigerously.
    Leave to soak if needs be, usually only for as long as it takes ot clean the rest of the bike.
    Scrub.
    Wash off
    Spray with GT85 (or more recently Wurth Sabesto as I keep breaking the nozzle on GT85 cans and have now given up on it)

takisawa2

Cleaning…a chain…?? 🙂

allthepies
    Free Member

White spirit for chain cleaning but as above Finish Line Citrus degreaser is the dogs for, errr, degreasing stuff 🙂

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Not as a degreaser, but as an effective cleaner (with mild lubrication/anti-corrosion properties) I use heating oil (Kerosene) because I get it free; my mum has oil fired heating! But even when paid for Kerosene is one of the cheapest cleaners.

For the umpteenth time, never ever use petrol! I used it for chain cleaning all the time until the vapour was ignited by who knows what. I lived to share my warning. There’s a reason why petrol station forecourts are covered in warnings.

And no, I don’t wear a helmet, do shoot, do fly, ride MX, and drive very enthusiastically.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

Petrol. Just burn it when it’s done. My neighbour asked if this was good for the environment. I pointed out his petrol BMW X5…..

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Comma engine degreaser. Works fantastic. Much cheaper than those specific bike lubes. I also cant see how ‘over cleaning’ a chain can be detrimental to its life. I degrease, scrub it, dry it and relube in 10 mins, so if regulary done, the grime doesn’t stick like pooey stuff.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Degreaser?’ is closed to new replies.