Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • degreaser?
  • crasher
    Free Member

What degreaser do you use for your chain because mines caked in gloopy old lube and I bought a degreaser but its not shifting it! Any suggestions for a good one please?

Onzadog
    Free Member

I use Deb Jizer. Works out pretty cheap in a 5 litre tin. Shifts anything

simondbarnes

Fenwicks FS-1

Konastoner
    Free Member

This should help: –

Chain Maintenance

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

When its really grim I use a powerlink and a plastic milk bottle. take chain off, whack it in bottle with a dilute degreaser mix and give it a good shake for a minute or three. Gets the grit out of the inside of the chain, not just the stuff off the outside like many chain cleaning gadgets.

replace with clean water for a rinse cycle 🙂 then re-fit, blast with water dispersant (wd40/gt85 etc then relube). Sounds more hassle than it is, but probably only an occasional 5 minute job.

And +! for Fenwicks FS1 (concentrate), I swear by the stuff and in diluted form use it as a pre-wash spray on my cycles and motorbikes. Brilliant at getting rid of bugsplats.

Surfr
    Free Member

Jamjar full of petrol for a quick soak and shake around. It's probably terrible for the chain but it's served me well so far. Got the idea from a co-rider who uses diesel sometimes.

coatesy
    Free Member

If degreaser's not working, try white spirit. I use a wax on my chain, Jizer won't touch it, but white spirit breaks it down easily.

crasher
    Free Member

thanks for your replies, looks like I'll have to get a chain splitter and use that method cos its caked!

racing_ralph
    Free Member

blow torch it

epicyclo

Konastoner – Member
    This should help: –

Chain Maintenance

That's out of date, Sheldon's latest method 😀

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘degreaser?’ is closed to new replies.